Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mileage claim at work
jabs

posted on 29/4/08 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Mileage claim at work

Two questions really.

Firstly with current rampent petrol price what sort of pence per mile are anyone claiming for company miles. I know there is a 'AA' figure but do companies take any heed of it ?

Next:- any idea what standard unleaded petrol cost per ltr 10 years ago.

Reason for the questions is that I want to put a case to our MD to increase their rates as it has only changed once in 10 years. It was 30p per mile 10 years ago and increased to 35p about 5 years ago so me thinks it's time for a change

Guinness

posted on 29/4/08 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
30p a mile I get 13p!

Edited to save self incrimination!

HTH

Mike

[Edited on 29/4/08 by Guinness]

blakep82

posted on 29/4/08 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
i think, 10 years ago, it was about 65p per litre... i remember it being 56p in in about 1993, and about 74p in 2000 when i started driving, so somewhere in the middle

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

dave1888

posted on 29/4/08 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
We are trying to get this sorted at the moment but to no avail. Just of the phone to the tax man and he tells me i can claim releif on the difference. In the last 4 months it has cost ME £556 to do business miles. We get 11.3p per mile

smart51

posted on 29/4/08 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
35p per mile covers 14.1 MPG at 108.9p per litre of petrol.
Take 5p per mile to cover depreciation and you need to do 16.5 MPG or more to brake even.
Take another 5p per mile to cover tyres, servicing and sundries, a realistic figure and you need to better 19.8 MPG to brake even.
Take another 5p per mile because you thing the 15p mentioned previously is not enough for some reason. You still have enough out of your mileage allowance for 33 MPG.

Work out the numbers and it doesn't sound too bad.

stevebubs

posted on 29/4/08 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
35p per mile isn't too bad. My previous employer gave about 16p!

A trip from Reading - Yorkshire and back in my thirsy v6 omega uses about 80-90 quid of fuel inc a bit of local running. on 35p / mile, this leaves about £60 for wear and tear on the car - which is probably about right...

Pdlewis

posted on 29/4/08 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Im on 40p which is themax but i used to get 11p at my last place then at the end of the year fill in a p87 and they adjust your tax code to compensate.

If yor in a company car it is much less i think arround 13p

Jubal

posted on 29/4/08 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
The current system used by many companies is flawed as the price of fuel and other running costs have increased so much. Claiming tax relief on the difference is of help but isn't the answer for many high mileage drivers of uneconomic cars. Someone who gets 12p/mile from their employer only gets an additional 11.2p in relief on the first 10k miles and 5.2p on the rest. That assumes 40% tax and even then it's not enough. Bearing in mind employers also have rules on what you can buy with your allowance or which type of company car you have to have (and hence pay tax on) the whole car use at work situation just doesn't add up for many, especially as the car is often a tool of the trade.

If your employer will offer it then get a fuel card. The benefit of deferred payment is one win but the lure of private motoring at 40p in the pound isn't to be sniffed at.

As for fiddling expenses by over-stating mileage. Fine if the employer overlooks it but don't be caught by the tax man doing the same on your return. They can ask for every journey detail so have good records just in case. Do also take advantage of their rules, such as an extra 5p per mile tax relief can be claimed if a colleague travels in your car.

Ultimately, the market will decide how this plays out. People with crap allowances and poor mileage rates will go find new jobs if they can.

zilspeed

posted on 29/4/08 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

As for fiddling expenses by over-stating mileage. Fine if the employer overlooks it but don't be caught by the tax man doing the same on your return. They can ask for every journey detail so have good records just in case.

My employer uses the journey calculator to check mileage claims.
On that basis, I use it to for every journey I claim for. I've been there in front of a director being questioned on a discrepancy of a mile or two. Don't want to do that again, so I use the same tools as they do to keep it all squeaky clean.

[Edited on 29/4/08 by zilspeed]

charlierevell

posted on 29/4/08 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
We just had the option to ditch the fuel card and I declined. You have to get an average of 43MPG to break even against the tax of a fuel card a 20% and 40%.
The saab gets 39-40.
I pay about £100 a month in tax, which is less than 2 tanks of fuel at current prices and that covers all my fuel.

Tango orange is an 'IN' colour!!

stuart_g

posted on 29/4/08 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have my own car that I use for company mileage. I claim 12p/mile back from the company which virtually covers my fuel outlay. I then claim the difference between 12p and 40p/mile for the first 10,000 miles and the difference between 12p and 25p for every mile after that from the tax man.
Ian D

posted on 29/4/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Havinga 2.0l petrol company car I get the standard Goverment approved rate of 13p per mile. It means I have to do around 38MPG, nigh on impossible. The Governement have not increased the rate to allow for the much higher fuel costs when they say on the web site a 5% change can mean a change. When I got the car in 2006 the break even was around 31MPG.

Hey what do I know according Gordon and Alistair the inflation rate is 2.1%. I must smoke and drink the wrong stuff.

Ian

zilspeed

posted on 29/4/08 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ian D

Hey what do I know according Gordon and Alistair the inflation rate is 2.1%. I must smoke and drink the wrong stuff.

Ian

I have this thought on a daily basis, only it's luxuries like bread, milk, electricity and gas that I must be buying from the wrong places...

iank

posted on 29/4/08 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
There are two measures of inflation used by HM Govt.
CPI is around 2.5%, RPI around 4%

CPI is the one used when doing pay awards. RPI is used by the MP's index linked pensions IIRC.

Guess which one is closer to reality.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

pif

posted on 29/4/08 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
for what its worth i get 40p per mile, iseem to remember when the wife worked in a petrol station in 1996 u/l was 48/49p per litre.

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

owelly

posted on 29/4/08 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
We can claim 40p per mile. However, the car must be fully comp insured and have "for business use" on the policy. It's around 17p per mile if your not fully comp!
These figures are from when we worked for the DOE/PSA (government) and we got to keep our terms and conditions.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
the_fbi

posted on 29/4/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
We can claim 40p per mile. However, the car must be fully comp insured and have "for business use" on the policy.

I hope everybody using their own car for business use has at least class 1 business use on their insurance.
It actually make my insurance cheaper too

fwiw current HMR&C advisory rates and their "method" of calculation are here
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cars/advisory_fuel_current.htm

Should see the latest version this week.

will121

posted on 29/4/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
i currently get 18p/mile for business miles with a car allowance, as highlighted above if you employer pays you less than the inland revenue allowance of 40p/mile you are permitted to claim tax relief of the remainder eg in my case the 22p. if you google 'P87' http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/hmrc/forms/viewform.jsp?formName=P87 it will bring up the necessary form, just fill it in send it off and get a tax rebate!! you can claim for previous years, just remember they will amend you tax code to reflect your previous years claim, if you end up doing less miles you will have to submit claim form at end of current year and owe them!!! also bear in mind u could end up with a full self assessment form.
dhutch

posted on 29/4/08 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Heres a photo ive got from 1991 (when i was 4).

Mum took it becuase she figured times would change.
- No more 4star, no more gallons, diesal is mainstream, and pumps advertise pay@pump not that there 'self serve' !

Apprently at work we get paid 40p a mile.
- Although ive always gone with someone else, or taken a pool car.

Daniel

[Edited on 3/5/08 by dhutch]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.