Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike Tax Petition
trikerneil

posted on 14/5/08 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Bike Tax Petition

I don't know if these government petitions do any good but...

"Changes to the law mean cars emitting less than 100g of CO2 per kilometre travelled would be exempt from paying Vehicle Excise Duty (road tax), while motorcycles are still required to pay.

This was outlined by your Chancellor Alistair Darling in his first budget last week, under the auspices of rewarding motorists for driving ‘green’ vehicles.

Despite Darling’s aim, the rate of road tax paid by motorcyclists is set to double in 2009, with the annual charge for a typical 125cc commuter bike set to grow from £15 per year at present, to £33 in 2009.

This makes a nonsense of the revised rates of vehicle excise duty, as motorcycles tend to emit less CO2 and use less fuel than cars, with the average CO2 output from motorcycles at 110g/km.

So why do those who ride greener two wheeled vehicles, use less road space and do not contribute to congestion get penalised whilst 4 wheel motorist whose vehicles use under 100g/km are exempt from road tax .... makes a mockery of your plans"

I know some on here are into Bikes

LINKY

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 14/5/08 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'll sign that, it makes a mockery of their claim that they are trying to encourage people not to use cars as much.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

02GF74

posted on 14/5/08 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
you really believe any of this is nothing more than an excuse to raise money via taxes?

sign away but like 99.9% of petitions it falls on deaf ears.

r1_pete

posted on 14/5/08 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
I've often thought about that, but the way I ride the R1 isn't particularly green

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Omni

posted on 14/5/08 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Signed :-)
smart51

posted on 14/5/08 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
You're effectively asking for more scrutiny of bike emissions and a bike tax scheme based on emissions. Is that what you want?

You might find that bikes are not tuned for low fuel consumption but for power and performance. Undoubtably bikes use less fuel than "equivelant" cars, but not as much as they could if thats what they were designed for.

Bike tax is cheap. Do you really want super bike tax to be increased like it has been for cars?

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/5/08 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
many modern bikes are so lean burning that they are a swine just to get them to start at all. Personally £30 of the tax doesn't bother me as I'm using just £6 a fortnight on fuel anyway so not bankrupt quite yet . indeed, my daily sandwich for my lunch is twice as expensive as the bikes fuel costs and the road tax works out at 4p a day, where on earth am I going to find that extra 4p!!! I'll have to sell one of the dogs

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

speedyxjs

posted on 14/5/08 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Iv signed it but £33 per year isnt really that much. Isnt car tax supposed to double aswell?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Ricks-9r

posted on 14/5/08 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Also Signed
pdw709

posted on 14/5/08 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I agree that the Vehicle TAX laws are a joke, but at the moment bikes have it a lot better than cars. I always found it strange that my CBR1000F Striker had strict emissions tests and a high tax compared to the CBR bike.

If people make too much noise then the government will suddenly realise that they ar'nt taxing bikes enough..........

Simon

posted on 14/5/08 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
You might find that bikes are not tuned for low fuel consumption but for power and performance.

Er, a few years ago, I had reason to go to Wales when they were doing road works on the M4 - 20+ miles of roadworks. All with a 40mph limit.

So I reset the fuel computer and got 72mpg.

From my Hayabusa.

More EF than a Toyconnedya Prius in my book.

Given the far far fewer material used in production than any car, I'd also suggest bike rfl is a bit of a con!

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.