Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: couple of avon dimensions please
andrew-theasby

posted on 28/5/08 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
couple of avon dimensions please

Hi, just putting my bodywork on, and just wanted to confirm a few dimensions please. Could someone please measure me dimension A, and B or C on my sketch please. It just seems my wheel is well up in the arch at the moment, so that could be the ride height which i havent touched yet, and the other dimension will just confirm the issue ive read about, where the wishbones are on upside down or not. Thanks. Rescued attachment car dims.JPG
Rescued attachment car dims.JPG

andrew-theasby

posted on 28/5/08 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Just thought, should my lower wishbones be flat for the ideal ride height?
Humbug

posted on 28/5/08 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see your pic ("image could not be shown", but I think the normal recommenation is for the lower wishbones to be level
andrew-theasby

posted on 28/5/08 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, dont know what to do about the pic, i can see it fine, anyone else see it? Its only a sketch anyway, the dimension im most after is from the top chassis rail behind the seats, to the back of the bodywork.
andrew.carwithen

posted on 28/5/08 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Dimension 'A' on my Avon is 375mm.
The other dimensions will be governed by length of shock and adjustment of spring platform.

Ian D

posted on 28/5/08 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
You can check if your lower whishbone is the right way around. The lower wishbone straightest side should face the front. The end of the bush should be parallel to the chassis at 100mm. Its on page 93 of the book. Tiger also put a weld line on one side of the strut as well. If you speak with them Im sure they will advsie.

Ian

DaveFJ

posted on 29/5/08 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Just be aware that the Avon body can be fitted with up to and inch or so forward and back so ideally you should fit the body sfter the wheels to get it lined up properly.... It took me loads of 'adjusting' to get my body stiint anywhere near right...

also - have you tucked the rear lip of the body under or over the lip on the chassis?

Mine had to go above to get the arches right.

HTH

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

andrew-theasby

posted on 29/5/08 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
The bodys rear lip is about an inch over the rear of the chassis, and i still have no room for upward suspension travel. I think my wheel base is too wide (See post in running gear section) as the wheel is slightly proud of the arch. If i could lose some width somehow, i think it would be better as the wheel would go inside the arch. Ive sorted the fore and aft position and dimension A on mine now measures 350mm, thats why i was worried about the wishbones being wrong way round. Ill post some pictures of my progress soon, as ive done loads this week. Thanks
andrew.carwithen

posted on 29/5/08 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
What is the offset of your wheels?
mine are ET38.
You could always widen your arches (they will not be symetrical anyway) as myself and a few others have done.

DaveFJ

posted on 30/5/08 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I have et10 on 245/35 16s and the tyres stuck out of the arches byt about 15mm. I chopped the arches and extended them by 20mm so they are now 14" wide...

scary but fairly easy to do. as you can see from my pics - if my wheels werent inside the arch lips they would rub all the time....

Dave

andrew-theasby

posted on 30/5/08 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, tho not entirely what i wanted to hear i think widening the arches is the only option, as my front brakes wont allow a narrower offset i dont think. Just when i thought id finished fibre glassing :- Rescued attachment bonnet small.jpg
Rescued attachment bonnet small.jpg

DaveFJ

posted on 31/5/08 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
there is no need to have the front and rear offsets the same... I have et35 16"x7" with 205/45s at the front and should have had et50 16"x8" at the rear for my 245/35s but the compomotive phoned me and told me that despite accepting my order they could only manage a maximum of et10 on the 8" wide wheel! hence i ended up having to re-do the rear arches to accomodate...

TBH it is worth doing anyway because the rear arches are so far from square!

Dave

andrew-theasby

posted on 31/5/08 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, i see, so your running wider wheels at the back. Ill make some enquiries at a later date about this then, and the wheel arches can be made to suit. Thanks for the advice

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.