Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ballast Resistors
brynhamlet

posted on 3/7/08 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Ballast Resistors

I want fit a ballast resistor on my car. I have a Lucas dizze converted to electronic. Two wires go from the dizzie to the coil, one for positive and one for negative. Do I put the resistor between the dizzie and coil or in the supply to the dizzie.

And before you ask, the reason is the alternator is tired and is ramping up the battery voltage and consequently cooking the coil. I can't afford a new new alternator but the resistor should'nt cost much

SeaBass

posted on 3/7/08 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
If the Alternator is putting out too much voltage your battery as well as the coil will soon be knackered... I wouldn't try to hide a problem by altering something else and a ballast resistor is old tech probably not compatible with an electronic distrubutor.

JC

wilkingj

posted on 3/7/08 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Are you sure your alternator is sticking out high volts. If its above about 15/16V then its knackered, and you should get a new one.

Is your battery OK? ie showing 12/13V without the engine running, and then an increase when the engine is running.
Is there sufficient fluid in the battery, ie covering the plates (unless its a maintenance free jobby)

If the coil is cooking, ie getting very hot, then you either need a coil that does not need a ballast resistor, or get the correct ballast resistor for the coil you have. bear in mind there are different resistors for different coils.

Diagnose the problem and fix that first. As treating the symptom instead of the cause will only lead to more tears later.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 3/7/08 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
ok, as ^^^ say.

alternator woltagr when running hsould not go about 14 V; if it does, then alternator is duff.

this is usually the voltage regulatr that is gone; these can be replaced for lucase type, typically a tenner.

faling that, you can get alternator from scappy - be cheaper and easier than messing with a ballast resistor.

as ^^^ , it will kill the battery given enough time as well as blowing lamp bulbs, idea if you are driving at night.

britishtrident

posted on 3/7/08 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
13.4 to 14.9 is the normal alternator output range --- test at 2,500 rpm without load and underload (eg switch headlamps on and off).

Also be aware that most DMM (digtial multi meters) read high if the DMM's internal battery is on the way out.

[Edited on 3/7/08 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.