Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake Light Microswitch on Brake Pedal !
archspeed

posted on 3/9/08 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Brake Light Microswitch on Brake Pedal !

Hi All,

Rather that me trying to re-invent the wheel Does anyone have a picture of a switch / microswitch actually fitted to the brake pedal assembly to operate the brake lights?

I'm wanting to have a switch on the pedal rather than messing around with a hydraulic switch in the brake line itself. Also I gather the hydraulic switches arent very sensitive - so seeing as I have had someone hit me up the chuff before WITH brake lights on (in a tin top)- I'm leaning in favour of a microswitch to ensure the lights come on at the slightest touch of the pedal!!

I've searched the forum ( as it usually answers my questions!) but whilst there several posts were people have done it, I cant find any pictures!!

Thanks for any help
Kevin

PS - If it matters car is an MK Indy. ( With Floor Mounted Pedals)

[Edited on 3/9/08 by archspeed]

Paul TigerB6

posted on 3/9/08 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
I got one from Maplin Electronics for a few quid and made a simple bracket to fit the switch to the front of the pedal in the depressed position so that as the pedal was pushed, the switch was released. There are generally 3 terminals on the sitched to allow it to be wired accordingly.

No pic sorry.

From memory, this was the one I used here with the roller and is rated at 12A / 250V AC

[Edited on 3/9/08 by Paul TigerB6]

britishtrident

posted on 3/9/08 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
The 3.5 amp current is a bit high for a lot of microswitches however you could use either a tin top pedal stop switch or the older pull switches used on old cars and motorcyles.

http://www.completeautomobilist.com/parts/auto%20electrical/switch/

Be aware that pedal mounted switches need to be carefully set up. Rescued attachment 415a.jpg
Rescued attachment 415a.jpg

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

welderman

posted on 3/9/08 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Maplin part number is GW73Q

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

welderman

posted on 3/9/08 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/brake_switch.jpg Rescued attachment brake_switch.jpg
Rescued attachment brake_switch.jpg

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

archspeed

posted on 3/9/08 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi again

Thanks for the help so far with switches, I'm still a bit confused as to how to actually mount the switch, Paul Tigerb6 suggested mounting at the front of the pedal - but wouldn't this be easy to catch with your foot and bend out of shape??

Sorry if i'm being dumb!

Kevin

Paul TigerB6

posted on 3/9/08 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by archspeed
Hi again

Thanks for the help so far with switches, I'm still a bit confused as to how to actually mount the switch, Paul Tigerb6 suggested mounting at the front of the pedal - but wouldn't this be easy to catch with your foot and bend out of shape??

Sorry if i'm being dumb!

Kevin

Mine was way up out of the way on top mounted pedals. What sort of pedals are you using??

BenB

posted on 3/9/08 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The 3.5 amp current is a bit high for a lot of microswitches however you could use either a tin top pedal stop switch or the older pull switches used on old cars and motorcyles.

http://www.completeautomobilist.com/parts/auto%20electrical/switch/

Be aware that pedal mounted switches need to be carefully set up.

Good pla re the sprung switch.
I always worry about a micro switch being "kicked" out of the way so it doesn't work. Hydraulic switches need a little gusto but there don't go wrong that often.... Hydraulic switches work better if the the switch is below the rest of the brake circuit, most people use a T-piece pointing upwards so you get a little air bubble under the switch. Doesn't help the switch work well and can introduce a spongy pedal feel.

archspeed

posted on 3/9/08 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
quote:
Originally posted by archspeed
Hi again

Sorry if i'm being dumb!

Kevin

Mine was way up out of the way on top mounted pedals. What sort of pedals are you using??

That makes sense!! My pedals are floor mounted So I cant mount a switch up in the top area, ( I should have mentioned that bit - Sorry)

Kevin

RK

posted on 3/9/08 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, good question. My idea was to mount it behind the pedal (top mount pedal box) on a steel or thick ally bracket rivetted to the chassis. Too thin an ally and it will move.

I will post pics once I've got it done. Need to bleed brakes tonight before I get going on switches. Haven't been able to coerce the missus to come and help... something about our 20th anniversary that takes precedence. No priorities.

[Edited on 3/9/08 by RK]

will121

posted on 3/9/08 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
may be the easiest way is to get in the foot well of your tin top assuming you have one, and have a look how that is fitted as most standard cars work or did work by mico switches bolted to the back of the pedal box and press against/above the pivot point
James

posted on 3/9/08 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
In got one with my Nissan Micra pedal set... but when I made my own pedals instead I binned it in favour of a mechanical one. I really don't like the idea of the switch in some way jamming the brake pedal!

If someone hit you when you had the brake lights on anyway... why is that a reason not to have mechanical.

Mine's from VW for a MK2 Golf... it's hardly going to be unreliable! Just screws into a 'T' piece at the rear.

If you're worried about people driving into the back then fit a high level brake light to the roll bar. Premier Wiring do a nice LED one.

HTH,
James

[Edited on 3/9/08 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

archspeed

posted on 3/9/08 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by will121
may be the easiest way is to get in the foot well of your tin top assuming you have one, and have a look how that is fitted as most standard cars work or did work by mico switches bolted to the back of the pedal box and press against/above the pivot point

Sorry - but I forgot to mention my pedals are floor mounted!

Thanks

nib1980

posted on 3/9/08 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
why not just use a sensor in the Brake fluid line like everyone else?
Paul TigerB6

posted on 3/9/08 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Given the difficulties you will face in trying to fit a microswitch to floor mounted pedals in such a way as to take away any risk of kicking them then i'd have to agree a hydraulic switch would be the safer option. No matter what sort of switch you fit, there is no accounting for the idiots on the road who drive too close.

The above idea of fitting an LED strip (underside of the roll bar) is a good one for that extra visibilty. If you are concerned about the longevity of hydraulic switches then why not plumb in a second hydraulic switch to operate the 3rd brake light?

archspeed

posted on 3/9/08 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
I was a bit worried about using a hydraulic switch as reading through posts done in the past, many people seem to be of the opinion that they are not very sensitive, so only come on when a fair amount of pressure is applied to the pedal.

I would feel much better knowing the lights are on as soon as I even touch the pedal.

Having said that, It does seem to be the general opinion is a hydraulic switch - so I may have to re-consider...

RoadkillUK

posted on 3/9/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've never actually looked, but my Xantia has a pedal mounted brake light switch.

Can't seem to find anything about it online though.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 3/9/08 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
For those that have hydraulic switch that doesnt work too well - ive been told that series 2 landrovers used the lighter sprung switch and is an effective mod.

RichardK

posted on 3/9/08 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
This is how I did it, but as I made these from scratch may not help you that much.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ian D

posted on 3/9/08 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Try this my hydraulic switch which works well mounted on the end of the brake balance regulator using a t piece.
Keeps it out of the foot well and is easily accessible.

Ian Rescued attachment Brake Regulator Compressed.JPG
Rescued attachment Brake Regulator Compressed.JPG

BenB

posted on 3/9/08 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
I still think there's a market for an accelerometer based brake switch so that engine braking alone would light up the brake lights.
Only trouble is I think it would fail MOT..... which seems a shame really as it would mean the light comes on when you're braking yet you don't burn the retinas of the person behind you out when sat in traffic on an incline....

Canada EH!

posted on 3/9/08 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Brake Light Microswitch on Brake Pedal

When I was a kid, there was a very popular addon, a small traffic light in the rear window of tintops. worked off engine vacuum, foot on the gas-green light, lift foot to coast-amber light, lift foot off the accelerator-red light. today we could probably do it with onboard computers.
archspeed

posted on 5/9/08 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks to all that have replied...

For anyone thats interested, this is about the best way I've found to mount a brake light switch on floor mounted pedals....

I think I will use a heavier duty switch, and tidy the wires up a little more....

[img][/img]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.