Board logo

MK BEC radiator
locoboy - 11/8/07 at 09:42 AM

Can anyone confirm what radiator MK sell as their own BEC rad?

Is it a production radiaotr or something they have had made to a specific design?

Im looking for a new rad that fits in my Panther as my R1 bike rad wouldnt keep the engine cool enough to complete the fast idle test at SVA, its fine when driving just not when its sat at 2500rpm for 5 min.

Thanks

locoboy - 13/8/07 at 09:43 AM

there must be plenty of you guys out there with the MK BEC rad installed.

No ideas anyone?

progers - 13/8/07 at 02:07 PM

The bike rad will be fine if you switch the fan on :-)

Peteff - 13/8/07 at 04:00 PM

Get an early Nissan Micra radiator Col, they are about 3 times the area of a bike radiator but will fit in the nosecone quite easily. The pipes are a similar size so you don't need any adaptors.

locoboy - 13/8/07 at 04:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by progers
The bike rad will be fine if you switch the fan on :-)

If i just switch it on early rather then let it come on?

snoopy - 13/8/07 at 05:39 PM

mk,s rad is there own design not a production one would go polo rad if had to scource one myself as hoses are same size as bike ones

locoboy - 13/8/07 at 08:25 PM

well i spent 3 hours straightening the fins on my bike rad,

after all it only cost me £1 so its worth trying to fix it

I then ran it with the nose off for ease and the bonnet off as it would be in the test.

I ran it untill 100 dec c and shorted the fan to come on, it brought it down to 93 deg and i maintained fast idle of just over 2500 rpm for 15 min with no water loss and the temp only crept up to 95 after 15 min

I have never seen a red hot header either................until now that is

Im sure that it would have the capacity to complete a fast idle test at SVA now.

Thanks for your advice one and all.

snoopy - 13/8/07 at 09:54 PM

dont be worried about the red hot headers have had the headers transparent at s.v.a awsome but scary site

progers - 14/8/07 at 09:12 AM

yep, I have a manual fan override so whenever static for a while can just switch the fan on before it gets hot. Keeps temps reasonable as long as the rad is in good nick.

I have raced with the bike rad and don't see water temps above 85. As long as it is ducted and you have adequate ventilation out of the engine bay the bike rad will work fine.

Cheers

Paul