Board logo

cobra roadster 7 seats
jabbahutt - 20/9/07 at 12:52 PM

afternoon all

I'm seriously looking at fitting cobra seats in my Indy and wondered how they attached? Ideally I'd like to bolt them straight to the two chassis strips but wondered what mounting holes if any the seats came with.

So if you've fitted these seats in an Indy please let me know how easy they are to fit and how they're secured.

Many thanks
Nigel

Hammerhead - 20/9/07 at 01:08 PM

I think Grahammk has them, give his photo archive a shufty

John22000 - 20/9/07 at 02:13 PM

Hi Nigel,

Cobra Seats fitted in my Indy.....

There are four holes tapped into the bottom of the seats, the runners attach to these. Attaching the runners to the seat first meant that I was sure of the spacing between the runners.
I extended the runners as far as possible in one direction and marked and drilled the holes through the chassis. Bolt the seat in, extend the seat in the other direction and mark the remaining two holes.
Remove the seats, drill the two holes where you have marked and finally stick the seats back in using large penny washer on the underside to spread the load.

Bit of messing about taking seats in and out to get the holes marked but on the whole a pretty straightforward job.

By the way Chester's not too far away, if you want to come round for coffee and questions just ask...

John.

jabbahutt - 20/9/07 at 02:54 PM

cheers John

Do the seats need to be fitted to runners or can they be bolted straight to the floor?

If runners are fitted can tyhe seat still be fitted all the way back (6' 4" tall) and how far off the floor does it raise the seat? (issues getting my legs under steerring wheel)

I'll definately take you up on your kind offer of a coffee and can see for myself before placing an order.

Thanks
Nigel

iscmatt - 20/9/07 at 03:04 PM

They can go straight to the floor, they don't have any bottom bulges like fibreglass. Thats what mine were like

stuart_g - 20/9/07 at 05:16 PM

Genuine Cobra runners are only 25mm high.

HTH
Stu.

John22000 - 20/9/07 at 10:47 PM

with the Cobra runners the seats will slide right up to the rear bulkhead.

I'm 6" tall and have the seat slid forward 'two notches', this moves it a couple of inches forward from the bulkhead.

As Stu says, they only raise the seat by an inch or so.

I made mine easier to get in and out of by changing to a flat bottomed steering wheel.

John.

snoopy - 20/9/07 at 11:03 PM

i bought these of cashy off here they fit easily and the runners match the straps on the indy perfectly and they go all the way to the back

original thread on seatsHERE

[Edited on 20/9/07 by snoopy]

cashy - 3/10/07 at 07:47 AM

i remember those!!!

Drop me a pm if anyone needs anymore sets

bob - 3/10/07 at 08:44 AM

Yup cashy is yer man, might be worth bolting them to the floor without runners if pre SVA on the MK, i have a feeling the extra inch might make the upper anchorage point for the belts a fail.

I am sure others will put us straight

[Edited on 3/10/07 by bob]Image deleted by owner

Marlon - 3/10/07 at 08:09 PM

I Have these seats courtesy of Cahsy and they're GREAT!, I'll definately see him again when I need some for future builds. As for fitting, yes they can be fitted directley to floor (thats how mine were for sva) with the runnres on the were too high for belt anchorages! they now have runners on but am going to remove soon, not for height of steeringwheel as at 6'2" and a 12" wheel I can get in easily with them. I am removing for the windscreen which is at that awkward height where the surround is right in the middle of my line of sight.

hth.

john.

cashy - 16/10/07 at 07:40 AM

can i help?