Board logo

R1 gas mileage at the track?
Blackbird - 7/10/08 at 03:44 PM

Trying to decide what size of fuel tank I'll need, I'm running a 2005 R1 motor.
What kind of gas mileage do you guys see when you hit the track?

I'd like to be able to run a 40-45 minute sprint race on one tank if I could.

Thanks!

Moti

[Edited on 7/10/08 by Blackbird]

speedyxjs - 7/10/08 at 04:05 PM

This has been discussed before. Do a search (i think i remember 9mpg )
Isnt American mpg different from English mpg? Might need to remember that

Hugh_ - 7/10/08 at 04:31 PM

I was getting about 7mpg (UK gallons) out of my carbed Fireblade Fury on track. A 25l tank lasted me about 40minutes at Lydden (a slow/twisty circuit).

progers - 7/10/08 at 04:34 PM

You'll need a tank capacity of around 30litres (~7US gallons). My 20 litre tank is good enough for 30 mins on track with a bit to spare.

Cheers

Paul

smart51 - 7/10/08 at 05:13 PM

I always seem to get around 20 imperial MPG on track days (16 US MPG). I get a lot of scorn on here for saying it. Still, I maintain that using full throttle to accelerate and going as fast as I can before braking for the corners, using the R1 clocks to measure miles and using the fuel pump to measure petrol, I get about 20 MPG every time.

andylancaster3000 - 7/10/08 at 06:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by smart51
I always seem to get around 20 imperial MPG on track days (16 US MPG). I get a lot of scorn on here for saying it. Still, I maintain that using full throttle to accelerate and going as fast as I can before braking for the corners, using the R1 clocks to measure miles and using the fuel pump to measure petrol, I get about 20 MPG every time.

Have you managed to correct the R1 clocks to read speed/mileage somehow? If so I'd be interested in how you have gone about this? (apologies for the slight thread hi-jack!)

Cheers,
Andy

Blackbird - 7/10/08 at 07:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by smart51

Thanks.
The first couple of replies left me a bit puzzled, I used to get about 8 US MPG out of my turbo miata at the track.
And that miata weighed almost double and had about 100 more HP than my locost should be when it's done.

I guess a fuel cell with about 8 US gallons should do for my purpose.
ATL makes one with pretty reasoable measurements to fit above the diff.

BTW, Andy I don't mind the hijack, I'm pretty interested myself in knowing the answer.

Moti

mark chandler - 7/10/08 at 08:44 PM

My 893 blade just swallowed fuel at lydden hill, two whole jerry cans in five 15 minute sessions, 10mpg would be generous....