Board logo

Bicycle rack on a Seven?
Slater - 20/2/14 at 09:15 AM

Has anyone transported a bicycle on their locost/seven?

I am thinking of ideas on how a bike could be carried using some sort of rack on the back?

Maybe a U channel fitted across the parcel shelf for the tyres and a stabilising bar from the top of the roll bar to the bike frame?

Any other ideas?? I know it's gonna look mighty odd, but it would be fun method of transporting my mountain bike to my regular riding places.

SteveRST - 20/2/14 at 10:13 AM

I've transported my mountain bike in all my previous cars... s1 elise, westfield, mx5. Got a 7ft christmas tree in the Westy too. In my Westfield I took the wheels and seat post off and the frame fits OK into the passenger area. Either strap both wheels to the roll-over bar, or one to the top of the bike frame and one to the roll bar.

Use cardboard/blanket to protect the car from scratches and plenty of bungee cords to secure everything.

Steve

Rod Ends - 20/2/14 at 11:28 AM

A Caterhammer's solution

theprisioner - 20/2/14 at 11:32 AM

You should contact constant builder

Description
Description

Slater - 20/2/14 at 11:40 AM

Thanks Mr Rod Ends, that does looks mighty strange and would turn heads even more than usual, but it works just fine. I will use that idea once I have bought a kit car.

With the Rand/Pound xchange rate I can get a decent Birkin for 5K. Hope to get one very soon.

nre - 20/2/14 at 11:50 AM

Bike + wheels goes in my Mojo. Just have to make sure you don't have a passenger...

Irony - 20/2/14 at 01:05 PM

Some clamps such as these

Trussing Clamps

Then you have a secure platform to bolt some sort of rack to.

adithorp - 20/2/14 at 01:24 PM

Maybe a fork clanp on the roll-bar and a chanel from that for the back wheel and a separate front wheel carrier. Fitted like the Caterham above but keeps the CG lower.

Something similar to this I made for the MX5...

...but mounting to the topofthe roll-bar.

beaver34 - 20/2/14 at 01:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRST
I've transported my mountain bike in all my previous cars... s1 elise, westfield, mx5. Got a 7ft christmas tree in the Westy too. In my Westfield I took the wheels and seat post off and the frame fits OK into the passenger area. Either strap both wheels to the roll-over bar, or one to the top of the bike frame and one to the roll bar.

Use cardboard/blanket to protect the car from scratches and plenty of bungee cords to secure everything.

Steve

any pics of the elise setup please

Pat_T - 20/2/14 at 06:06 PM

Description
Description

thinking of making a proper new rack now I have a full cage

Slater - 20/2/14 at 06:39 PM

Thanks folks, lots of good ideas put forward.

I have u2u'd the constant builder, looks like a cheap option, but i cant see hows he's done it.