Board logo

Sorry another 206 suspension/steering question
rodders - 23/1/09 at 03:34 PM

Finally I have go the dampers changed on my sister 206 . It was a bit of a job to fit the lower ball joints but brute force and ignorance won the day. Thanks for all the advise guys. I am now having trouble fitting the trackrod end back to the hub.

When I try to tighten the nut the ball joint just spins, I have had a look at the trackrod end and I cant see anywhere to attach a spanner to it to stop it from spinning. Hopefully someone has done this and will know what to do so I can finely be done with this car. Any advise is appreciated.

Regards

Rhod

mcerd1 - 23/1/09 at 03:36 PM

get a lever behind the ball joint and push it into the taper really hard and hold it there while you tighten it
(its only the fit/friction in taper that stops it turning)

once it starts to tighten it will grip without the lever

[Edited on 23/1/09 by mcerd1]

Howlor - 23/1/09 at 03:39 PM

Failing the above I have had success with a gcramp to nip it into the taper and if you just offset it a little you can leave room to get the nut on.

Steve

rodders - 23/1/09 at 03:56 PM

Cheers for the reply's I've managed to do it by levering it up . All I need to do now it fill up the gearbox with oil, but that's not going to happen for a while. I'm now going to have to go out and buy a drain plug removal thing/kit because the Peugeot drain plugs are square and I don't have anything that will fit . I HATE French cars!!!!!!! Oh well of to Halfords in a bit.

Regards

Rhod

mcerd1 - 23/1/09 at 04:20 PM

I used to use have an old 'T' bar from some random socket set (but it was a weird size for a socket set)
now I've got a better one I made by grinding down a 'universal' sump plug spaner till it fitted

[Edited on 23/1/09 by mcerd1]

rusty nuts - 23/1/09 at 07:45 PM

You don't need to buy a kit, just get the one you need. 8mm square IIRC