Board logo

Evergreen hedge
matt.c - 20/5/13 at 11:33 PM

Im replacing a hedge and i cant find the type of hedge im looking for as i dont know the names of them

Im looking to grow it to about 3ft high and 1 ft wide. I want a small leafed plant ie smaller than a laurel leaf size but bigger than box hedge leaf.

In needs to be a lighter colour of green as im trying to match it with my other large hedge of laurels.

Was going to use the laurels again but im unsure if i can make a thin hedge with that, without killing it??

Any help guys and girls?

Cheers

Dave Ashurst - 21/5/13 at 03:03 AM

Privet?

mookaloid - 21/5/13 at 08:36 AM

Holly

twybrow - 21/5/13 at 08:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Ashurst
Privet?

+1 for it being privet! It comes in a variety of greens, and is relatively quick to grow (holly takes years to grow to any worthwhile size!).

Davey D - 21/5/13 at 09:31 AM

Yep, as above its a privet hedge you are looking for

chukki - 21/5/13 at 12:00 PM

Hi i am new to this community

britishtrident - 21/5/13 at 12:28 PM

For 3ft hedge you might want to looking at a Box (Buxus) hedge -- Privet tends need more work to keeo it small.

Also consider dwarf Cypress conifers but take great care on picking a dwarf variety.

dave r - 21/5/13 at 08:36 PM

another one for holly, takes time to fill out and make a hedge, but only needs a couple of small light cuts a year to keep it how you want it

DavidM - 21/5/13 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chukki
Hi i am new to this community

Welcome to the forum. You may want to tell everyone what you are building and add your location to your avatar.

David