Board logo

pinto turbo
jpindy3 - 20/4/09 at 04:05 PM

any one know about pinto turbos,wether i can use the std efi ecu????i found a furom called turbosport,but it wont let me post .any help would be grate j

djtom - 20/4/09 at 04:15 PM

You'll need some way of retarding the ignition and mapping the fuel to suit your boost level, so using the standard ecu is probably out of the window.
Having said that, some low boost turbo conversions have used the standard ecu and just added a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, but I think you'd have to keep the boost very low (sub 5-7psi?) or risk detonation and melted pistons.

Have a google for Megasquirt - it is a low cost aftermarket ECU that you can build and map yourself.

jacko - 20/4/09 at 04:34 PM

If you are going to all this work just fit a cozzy engine

carpmart - 20/4/09 at 04:41 PM

U2U sent with my number. Happy to have a chat and answer any questions.

BTW - I've got a pinto turbo in my Fury

[Edited on 20/4/09 by carpmart]

CobaltFire - 20/4/09 at 05:17 PM

It really depends on what "Pinto" engine you would like to use. Over here in the States we had a factory 2.3l Turbo version, the stock ECU is good for over 300whp. I'd imagine that you could adapt that ECU without much trouble. The engine's are relatively heavy, but easy to come by here. They even came in the US Sierra (non-intercooled).

Rob Allison - 20/4/09 at 07:21 PM

Done a few pinto turbos. Standard efi will run up to 10psi intercooled.
The spring in the air flow meter need to be slackened, remove the black plastic lid and and move the cog to slacken the spring.
Then get a low pressure switch. One that will switch about 3 psi. And wire it to the 3 wires on the octane adjustment connection. This needs to be grounded when the switch makes under boost. It will retard the ignition up to 8 deg, depends which wires are connected.

Mine runs fine on a standard 2.0 efi @ 7psi it did 163bhp at the wheels.