Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: That's the honeymoon over!
ADH75

posted on 10/4/21 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
That's the honeymoon over!

Safe to say that's me now officially into the world of kit car ownership....

Bought the car in December, looked OK with it's receipts, recent new built lightened, balanced 205 pinto and near 12 months MOT. Only downside was the extremely large and loud "baked bean can" silencer that deafened you and covered you in exhaust fumes, and a couple of minor wee jobs.

Been off work this week and thought I'd do the wee jobs I wanted, QR kit, new boss and steering wheel, redo the drivers footwell carpet and get the exhaust changed.

Discover since being run in early January and February wipers and driver's rear indicator stopped working and the rev counter has started bouncing!

Where my new exhaust would fit onto the manifold as been mangled when the old one has been fitted. Went to drive off to get new part fitted and the throttle cable snaps!

Just found a load of taped up wires behind the dashboard as well, may investigate a re-wire. What's the view of Autosparks looms? A good bet for a non sparkie?

Just under 20 miles driven so far and the honeymoon is definately over and my wallet is open and beginning to doubt it will ever be closed again!😂

Edwardo

posted on 10/4/21 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about your issues - if it makes you feel any better I totally feel your pain on this one!

Bought mine just over a year ago and probably managed approx 1/2 mile before the dodgy electrics shorted out and caused a plume of smoke.

Then a further 2 miles maybe and the rear suspension brackets all snapped off! So it's now stripped back to the frame and being built back up properly.

At least your issues sound fixable without a major strip down. Car electrics are fairly simple even for the non sparky - so you could just do your own rewire - although a custom loom would save you some time of course.

Although it's really annoying - I look at everything that fails/breaks as an opportunity to re-do it properly and how you're happy with it.

I'm led to believe the wallet draining is not particular to problems - but just a general part of kit car ownership life!

Cheers
Tony

ADH75

posted on 10/4/21 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Edwardo
Sorry to hear about your issues - if it makes you feel any better I totally feel your pain on this one!

Bought mine just over a year ago and probably managed approx 1/2 mile before the dodgy electrics shorted out and caused a plume of smoke.

Then a further 2 miles maybe and the rear suspension brackets all snapped off! So it's now stripped back to the frame and being built back up properly.

At least your issues sound fixable without a major strip down. Car electrics are fairly simple even for the non sparky - so you could just do your own rewire - although a custom loom would save you some time of course.

Although it's really annoying - I look at everything that fails/breaks as an opportunity to re-do it properly and how you're happy with it.

I'm led to believe the wallet draining is not particular to problems - but just a general part of kit car ownership life!

Cheers
Tony

What am I moaning about, my experience is perfection compared to yours! Its an absolute sickner especially when the other half is not, under any circumstances "supportive" of the car. We all do it, slightly rose tinted view when you first buy it, and any small imperfections are "thats fine, it'll allow me.to make it mine".

I had hoped from what I saw and had receipts for the main parts would be fine, and did intend building a boot, redoing the rollover bar, refreshing the dashboard and painting the bare bonnet over time, just not the "extras" already.

That's the joys of these though, you pays your money, and again and again

big_wasa

posted on 10/4/21 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
When I buy one I count on ripping it to bits from the off anyway and the first job is always a rewrire
poloace

posted on 13/4/21 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
I bought mine as a non runner and took me about a 2 years to work out that the slight annoying misfire when hot was not points/ babd mechanical fule injection, rather it was a slight bent value that sealed when cold but when hot leaked! I have also tidied wiring and rebuilt the front and back. Now I am redoing the cockpit and dash and floor but it was built in 95 so pre SVA so alot of things need improving on it, as it was a prototype one off build that was never quite fully finished.

I have destroyed an engine mount but luckily never had any suspension issues other than wheel bearing failure.

Write a list and tick a few off every year it will keep you busy!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.