Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MotaLeira First Drive
neilj37

posted on 12/3/09 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Have to say though that i would have expected those sort of comments from Atom "purests".

I went to a caterham bash once and was told to move my MNR away as it wasn't a "proper" caterham, bunch of snobs.

I have total respect to you guys that build cars from scratch. As an engineer I appreciate the amount of work that goes into them. I would quite happily be seen in the MotaLeira or Warner R4.

[Edited on 12/3/09 by neilj37]

bigben

posted on 12/3/09 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
bigben, don't you think that the comments were understandable considering that all I got was nothing but abuse?

When you consider it has taken me 20 months of graft and lots of calcs, drawings and testing things to get this right and someone who just writes a cheque and has no building experience gives me a slating, what would you say?

[Edited on 12/3/2009 by nitram38]

Without going into the same tired arguments on this forum I think your antagonistic posting style on the Atom forum has not really helped your case. Posting a link on this forum shows you were only ever on the Atom forum to get people's backs up.

As some on the Atom forum have said A+ for effort but you have to acknowledge that not everyone has the time / ability to build their own car so 'just write a cheque' (as you so nicely put it'.

Ben

nitram38

posted on 12/3/09 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't say anything!
I just posted a link. I can't see any of the positive comments that you speak of in that thread.
Only I do 84 hour weeks and I still manage to build a car

To those interested, I sorted the gear indicator today (DG8) by running a wire to the speed sensor on the gearbox. This probably gives more pulses so it works. I plan on replacing the bubble screen panel with a flat one for sva. I also fitted a baffle in the exhaust and it has bought my exhaust down from 102 to 100 dB. It is a piece of pipe that is straight through, so stil allows the emissions probe to go in.
Judging by my XD-16, the emissions are spot on at idle and 3000 rpm, but not sure if it will pass as I can't get to a proper machine yet.
My paddleshift was a bit stiff but I had allowed for a longer gearshift arm with several holes. Dropping the pivot back about 20mm has transformed the paddles. They now go in easy.
I have the 1" mesh ready to start creating an engine cover which I will start on Monday night, after I have borrowed the croppers from work!
The brakes seem a bit soft when first used and then get better. I suspect air in the front circuit or the Wilwoods retract to far?
I've bled them from both top nipples.

Gav

posted on 12/3/09 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
On the willwood website it says you have to bleed the farthest from the MC first and work back.

Might help...

[Edited on 12/3/09 by Gav]

mistergrumpy

posted on 12/3/09 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

As some on the Atom forum have said A+ for effort but you have to acknowledge that not everyone has the time / ability to build their own car so 'just write a cheque' (as you so nicely put it'.

That's a fair point I think. You can't detract from the time and effort just because it isn't a "pure" copy. If indeed that was the original intention.

cloudy

posted on 12/3/09 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Martin, my side repeaters failed because the tester wanted to see them stood in line with the tyres from the rear at eye level, little suspect but just a heads up for your mirror repeaters....

James

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Side repeaters are going on the nose, but are also on the back of the mirrors!
I was thinking of removing the screens.
I'm pretty sure that they will find something.....

www.warnercars.com

nitram38

posted on 12/3/09 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks James, but the mirror indicators are just an aside. They were on some nice mirrors so I have connected them anyway.
I have a second pair of stick-on led jobies that will go on the nose.
The atom has them on rearward facing edge in front of the shocks. Once I have the car outside (with nose) I will play around with them until I am happy. I have an sva manual with the angles ready!

They go here on the atom:

Description
Description

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.