Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lorry Drivers Suck...
coozer

posted on 11/3/07 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Nice to see a healthy discussion raised there...

As I mentioned above I've driven a truck in the past along with other large road vehicles and trucks are the ones that pi€€ me off the most when I'm driving these days.

I see plenty of other ar€eholes on the road as well but they generally don't clog the roads, make me brake hard or cause as many accidents as I've seen in the last year.

Nearly every time there's a hold up because of an accident there is a lorry involved... 5 hours to get from Leeds to Manchester on the M62 a while ago due to a truck on its side over the central reservation with its cargo of gob stoppers strewn around the place.

When I saw the accident with the Polo I was from around 20m away in outside lane and she was past the truck, he pulled over and clipped her back quarter. I think he would have been able to see her out of the windscreen, never mind the mirrors!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

MikeR

posted on 11/3/07 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
left and right hand lorry drivers getting into the left hand lane at a roundabout and then turning right
Ah but if they did'nt do this they wouldn't make it round the roundabout. They're allowed to straddle the two lanes or take the space they need as long as they do it in good time on the approach.

The roundabout i'm refering to is a motorway roundabout that is probably 100m across (otherwise i'd agree with you).

DIY Si

posted on 11/3/07 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
One thing about the speed of trucks. Whilst they are all limited to 56mph, the arctics always seem to be able to go 1-2 mph faster than the rigids. When you're going from Land's End to John O'Groats that makes a fair difference, so most will try to overtake where possible. Also, anyone ever spotted an Irish truck? They AREN'T restricted at all, and are generally the more powerful trucks too, so can do 70+ mph.
Also, as others have said there are just as many if not more crap car drivers than there are truckers. As a white van man I see many who drive in quite iffy ways but they tend to be school run type mums, or older people who think "Well, I've been driving for 40 years, so I know all there is to know" whilst doing 45 down A roads where I could maintain a steady 65 mph in a slow badly handling van.
One final point, you always see accidents involve trucks, do they not also (nearly) always include cars? They can't all be the truckers fault.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

MkIndy7

posted on 11/3/07 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Go on.. let it all out Hicost!

Most white vans are more than capable of occupying the middle and third lanes these days with the Newer DCI and turbo engines.. most more so than small engined cars.
And those that are a bit slower tend to hog the lane because if they pull in when they start to slow up a hill etc they'll never get let out again when they pickup speed.

Oh.. and some of the Nova's left aren't just owned by boy racers anymore and have been tinkered with and well looked after and will give alot of cars a run for there money!

martyn_16v

posted on 11/3/07 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
I think everyone should be made to drive at least a 7.5 tonner for a month or so, it'll make them better drivers. Seriously. Driving a large vehicle teaches you to be more aware of potential obstructions and to look further ahead on the road. Someone suugested truck cabs would be better down at the same level as cars, yeah that'll be perfect until the first tit in his repmobile stomps on the brakes because he was too busy on the phone than paying attention to what was in front of him, and he gets an artic up the arse because it's driver couldn't see what was ahead. The average car driver seems to have no comprehension whatsoever that a fecking great truck can't stop/accelerate/change direction like an F1 car, if you cut one up it's more likely to hit you, and expecting it to change lane to get out of your way because you're too lazy to position yourself properly in a vehicle far more capable of doing so is just feckless.

Don't get me wrong, truck driversw aren't all perfect but the bad ones are a much smaller proportion than the bad car drivers. But what do I know, i drive a white van these days so I must be the lowest of the low

JoelP

posted on 11/3/07 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hicost
I thought the law was changing soon and white vans are to be restricted to 56mph or something.

I'll just paint it if they do that. Mines doing more than that parked outside now.

Peteff

posted on 11/3/07 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
doing 45 down A roads where I could maintain a steady 65 mph in a slow badly handling van.

5mph over the limit It's not that slow a van then

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeRJ

posted on 12/3/07 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
You see, you said everything I wanted to say in a very small space.

The fast lane is a fast lane, not a "I may be not let back in lane"

Of course I'm sure you know that it's not a "fast lane" at all, but an overtaking lane, which should be vacated as soon as an overtaking maneuver has been completed.

quote:

I thought the law was changing soon and white vans are to be restricted to 56mph or something.

The law has stated for a long time that the majority of Transit sized vans (i.e. non-car derived goods vehicle under 7.5 tonnes) have a maximum speed limit of 60mph on motorways and dual carriageways, and 50mph on NSL roads. Doesn't stop them though, and most police don't seem to worry about the shocking standard of driving you get from some of these plonkers.

gazza285

posted on 12/3/07 at 03:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I thought the law was changing soon and white vans are to be restricted to 56mph

The new law is for vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5tonnes gross. I still see plenty of 7.5 tonners going 80+ though.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 12/3/07 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The main problem with vans in the fast lane (overtaking lane) is you cannot see around them or through them. So you cannot read the road ahead. Regardless of how fast they go, they are just blocking the vision in the fast lane.

Agreed, and that's one reason I hate driving behind Chelsea tractors as well. Things are even worse in a small low car such as a Locost.

DIY Si

posted on 12/3/07 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst I agree my van is not one of the slowest out there, it is by a wide margin the slowest thing I have ever driven. It's more the bad handling that I object to, as with most vans, as this is what prevents them maintaining a steady pace. Oh it's a Transit Connect by the way.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Dale

posted on 12/3/07 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have a certain respect for them here as I was taught by a truck driver who drove a car carrier for more than 25 years(my dad). I have driven a bit and spent quite a few trips in it and saw alot of things you just dont see in a car or van. There is no speed limiting on the trucks here and I have seen trucks with 40 foot vans doing more than a ton. I would say most owner operator trucks are the best maintained and most powerfull. Alot of accidents I see ( I do about 70k km a year and most on the heaviest traveled highway in north america) are - if involiving a truck are people pulling out infront of the heavy truck so they dont have to run behind one, or passing one and then slowing down so then the truck has to try and pass again. 2 or 3 mph may be the difference in running in one gear or another and a differnce in your fuel usage and take home pay. People who will drive behind one seem to love to draft but in doing so they are completely hidden from the driver of the trucks. I see many trailors here know have big stickers on them saying both that the truck makes wide left turns and "if you cant see my mirrors I cant see you" Here trucks are not allowed in the 3rd lane and only overtaking in the second . Unfortunatly the second/middle lane is usually the slow lane. There seems to be 3 speeds for trucks here 100km as the posted speed 115-120 the normal traffic flow and then the rare nutcase running to whatever his truck will do- but they are a small percentage. Buisiness practice of just in time delivery is much to blame for aggressive truck driving now as they are given an set hour or closer to be at there destination with company fines for not being there.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

jolson

posted on 13/3/07 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've spent a fair bit of time in big lorries (my dad used to drive) and once did a trip (as a passenger) from Southern California to Canada in the 18-wheeler towing my boat. You've got to have respect for people that drive for a living and have to put up with the stupid/inconsiderate/malicious antics of other road users.

Having said that... a few years ago on Christmas Eve on the M6 I saw a subcompact car move (safely and legally) from the middle lane to the slow lane so they could leave at the next exit. This seemed to annoy the Eddie Stobart lorry they pulled in front of. The Stobart lorry pulled off onto the hard shoulder, drove alongside the subcompact, and forced them back into the middle lane and away from the exit. I got the lorry's number plate and reported it to Stobarts and the police, but neither of them could care less.

I've guess you've got to expect that a percentage of any group of drivers don't belong behind the wheel.

Cheers

John

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.