Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Mk Fuel tank
j30fos

posted on 7/5/04 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Mk Fuel tank

Hi All,

Iwas going down to Stonleigh at the weekend end, after 100 miles the engine died. When I pull the petrol cap off it was a massive effort. The was some fuel in bu t put some petrol in anyway a few turn overs and it started again. Now coming home, got to Birmingham and it died again, this time I knew that I filled up in Cov so it wasnt fuel. is the fuel cap suppose to be a massive effort to get off or is the tank making lots of pressure, sort of sucking the cap on hard. it seems to be presurising not releasing air. I may be wrong but have any of you guys had this. is there a solution. Its an MK Alloy tank with Areo filler.

Cheers

John

[Edited on 7/5/04 by j30fos]

nick205

posted on 7/5/04 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
I bought an MK tank at the show and now I look at it I'm not sure how you avoid the problem, it sounds like you're getting a vacuum in the tank.

Are you using a feed and return set-up or feed only?

Maybe you could fit a breather with a filter to the return pipe on the tank if you're not using it.

be sure to post the solution when you find it!

Cheers

Nick

mangogroove

posted on 7/5/04 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
you are not replacing the fuel with air resulting in the fuel starvation. opening the tank lets the pressure equalise and bob your uncle. Perhaps a tiny hole drilled in the cap would be the solution.
jimgiblett

posted on 7/5/04 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John

Sounds like you havent got a tank breather. A few guys I know who have an aero cap have drilled a small 1.5/2.0 mm hole in their fuel cap just under the latch Cheap, quick and easy fix.

Alternative is to put a T piece in the filler neck and a one way flapper valve.

Cheers

Jim

Hellfire

posted on 7/5/04 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
You need a vent. Either a vented filler cap or a vent on the tank. Easiest way would be to weld a small piece of tube onto the tank (assuming its aluminium) and drill a small hole through into tank. Then stick a rubber tube onto pipe with a return to stop any crap getting into tank.

britishtrident

posted on 7/5/04 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
You need a vent. Either a vented filler cap or a vent on the tank. Easiest way would be to weld a small piece of tube onto the tank (assuming its aluminium) and drill a small hole through into tank. Then stick a rubber tube onto pipe with a return to stop any crap getting into tank.

BANG ! if the air vapour mixture lies in the explosive range your dead.

You can't weld a fuel tank without de-gassing using steam first --- even then sure as hell some vapour will be left in the seams and of course if the tank is foam filled de-gassing is impossible anyway.

Fixing a vent pipe using screw fastenings is one option the other is ditch the aero cap and use a filler neck and cap with a pressue/vacum valve from a suitable donor -- if you need a fairly big diameter to replace the aero cap look at the Rover 600.

jimgiblett

posted on 7/5/04 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Don't weld a tank if it's had fuel in it unless you can be sure of removing all traces of petrol/vapour.

That is unless you like loud noises and rearranged body parts.

Hellfire

posted on 7/5/04 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
As britishtrident quite rightly states, you'd need to make sure its totally de-gassed first.

Thought that might have been quite obvious - but maybe not - in which case, also, don't forget to drain the fuel into a suitable container in a safe manner, then uncouple it from the fuel lines and remove it from the boot area of your indy and get it totally de-gassed before attempting to do any welding near it.

Probably still summat else I've missed..............

JoelP

posted on 7/5/04 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
jon says you can drill it and use a bicycle tyre valve to let air in. works for him, though i have never done it myself.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

OX

posted on 7/5/04 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
john i will send you the same thing i used to do mine with when i send you that cable

david cromie

posted on 10/5/04 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Valve for air venting tank

Lads what way do you modify the car tyre valve to do the job. david
Hellfire

posted on 10/5/04 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
Just to complicate things - regarding the cycle valve.

On a hot day the petrol and gases expand... quite substantially. Where does this extra volume of matter go if in a closed - one-way - system?

The vent is designed to let air IN not out...

I actually had a thought - could you not use something like what is now regularly seen on shower wash caps - basically a piece of rubber or semi-solid flexible diaphram and cut a very fine slot in it. That way if gases expand it'll escape under pressure - if it contracts (or gets used up) is will allow gasses the other way - vacuum. NO?

Just a simple thought!

JoelP

posted on 11/5/04 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
put 2 cycle valves in, one each way round. not sure what pressure they open at but it would only allow this much either side of atmospheric pressure then. no mods needed, just screw/stick it in.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

MikeR

posted on 12/5/04 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I can't help thinking we're reinventing the wheel here. Surely Caterham, Tiger, Westfield etc have all had and solved this problem.......

of course I don't know how they solved it

j30fos

posted on 18/5/04 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Fixed and sorted :-) al I did was drill 6 small holes under the flap next to the key in the aero filler cap. Now when the cap is undone there is now air realease, simple mod, best thing is its not visable because the key cover flap is covering them.

Cheers for the responces

John

[Edited on 18/5/04 by j30fos]

tony9876

posted on 18/5/04 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Westfield fit a small valve inthe top corner as you can see in the picture. Yes it is my car so no-one take the p*ss because its not a locost.

[Edited on 18/5/04 by tony9876]

James

posted on 18/5/04 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to be thick- where's the picture?

Cheers,

James

tony9876

posted on 18/5/04 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
It's a secret
Think the file was too big actually will try again tomorrow.If it helps its a little red non return valve in the corner of the tank .

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.