Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hybrid V8 gearbox question
marcjagman

posted on 19/5/11 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Hybrid V8 gearbox question

Hopefully the answers I get will be the same as what I think. Can you put the rear of a Rover V8 car gearbox on to the rear of a Range/Land Rover V8 gearbox? Assuming they are both the LT77, R380 etc. I know the input shafts are different lengths but if if you have right bell housing it should still fit the engine. I was wondering suppose the car gearbox is U/S and the 4x4 box was good, is it a straight forward swap or is there something more involved. I'm sure someone on here will know.
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 19/5/11 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure you can, back in the day we used to put Rover SD1 Engines straight onto Land Rover gearboxes to use for off -roading without an problem.

I assume you realise that the Land/Range Rover engine (the 3.5l at least) come in various states of de-tuning compared to a Rover V8 car engine.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
scudderfish

posted on 19/5/11 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Dammit! I was hoping you were figuring out how to put a V8 into a Prius

marcjagman

posted on 19/5/11 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
I'm pretty sure you can, back in the day we used to put Rover SD1 Engines straight onto Land Rover gearboxes to use for off -roading without an problem.

I assume you realise that the Land/Range Rover engine (the 3.5l at least) come in various states of de-tuning compared to a Rover V8 car engine.

I know the gearbox will fit the engine but I want to convert a 4wd box to rwd so if I take the transfer box of will the output end of a knackered car box fit?

mcerd1

posted on 19/5/11 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
^^ I know its been done (I've been in an RV8 Dax with an R380 from landrover), but I don't have the details of whats involved

I do know that the T5 gearbox is an option as used in the RV8 TVR's (the 'world class' box not the cossie one)
and its got to be one of the strongest boxes going with fairly decent ratios and not too heavy either

[Edited on 19/5/2011 by mcerd1]

-

marcjagman

posted on 20/5/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I thought it would be just a case of taking the transfer box of the back and swapping the rear casing over for the output shaft
coozer

posted on 21/5/11 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
And, can I replace the auto on my Rangy trans to a manual? IE: will a standard LT77, or R380, fit the transfer case off the auto box, assuming I take the back cover off... that is, bear with me, are the back covers and transfer boxes interchangeable??

Phew!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mcerd1

posted on 21/5/11 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=72421

-

britishtrident

posted on 21/5/11 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish

Wish somebody would ;-)

No direct connection but iIt surprised me that a lot of Prius owners are are getting them converted to LPG --- making triple fuel hybrid.

mcerd1

posted on 21/5/11 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish

Wish somebody would ;-)

No direct connection but iIt surprised me that a lot of Prius owners are are getting them converted to LPG --- making triple fuel hybrid.

^^ maybe they think the 3rd fuel will make them quicker :lol:

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.