Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Removing chrome plate
David Jenkins

posted on 12/6/11 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Removing chrome plate

About 8 years ago I bought some cheap and cheerful chromed 7" headlights just to get through the SVA, with the aim of replacing them with something better a little later on. They proved to be very effective, so they're still on the car!

However, they're starting to show surface rust in places, leaving me with 2 options:

* Buy new units - which seem to be well over £100 for a pair of decent ones.
* Strip the plating of the current ones and get them plastic coated.

I can probably get the plastic coating done for £20 - £30 (to be confirmed) so I can save money if I can get the shells & fittings de-chromed and de-rusted.

Anyone know a reasonably easy way to remove chrome plating (and whatever's plated underneath, like nickel) that doesn't involve nasty and hard-to-get chemicals? If the process also got rid of the rust then that would be a bonus!

Mark Allanson

posted on 12/6/11 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
If the chrome is getting rusty, it will be thin so can be remove reasonable easily with a 240g on a DA

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

r1bob

posted on 12/6/11 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
i think pure acetone is used to remove chrome plating you leave it to soak in the liquid for a day or so,, not sure if it would take off the rust though.
macc man

posted on 12/6/11 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Have you tried sand or grit blasting. I did some bumpers a few years back and sprayed with satin black. Top job.

r1_pete

posted on 12/6/11 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Take or send them to a chrome platers, the removal is the easy cheap bit, it is the polishing an preparing for new chrome that costs, so you'd be suprised how cheap they can do it for.

I paid a fiver for a pair of motorcycle mudguards stripping so I could repair them before re plating.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 12/6/11 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure if there are any chrome platers near Ipswich - not sure about shot blasters either! Have to look in Yell.com..

Ipswich is an industrial desert there days, unfortunately...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.