Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help.... Cant find Neutral!
johnny chimpo

posted on 1/5/13 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Help.... Cant find Neutral!

Hi all, another day another problem!!!!

Hopefully the helpful people on here can help with my latest problem in the quest to get my car back on the road before the good weather has been an gone!

I have a MNR Vortx with MNR paddle shift system and a R1-5pw motor, the problem is that I cant seem to get my car to go into neutral, regardless of if it is running or not.

The car was last used August last year and there wasn't any problems with gear changes. It was has sat in my garage in neutral since then and was pushed out the garage for the first time last Saturday. I went to start the car and due to a knackered battery ended up having to bump start it, she started fine, but ever since then I cant seem to get neutral. all other gears seem to be engaging correctly, well 1st & 2nd are, I won't be able to check the rest until I actually get it taxed and out on the road.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be the cause or what to try to rectify the problem? I've got my car booked in for alignment setup next Tuesday so just hoping whatever the fault is, its an easy one to fix?

Could it simply be lack of use and it will rectify once the car has been driven and I have been up and down the gears a few times?

Cheers as usual for any help anyone gives....

G

ReMan

posted on 1/5/13 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
OK I'll start!
It' will probably heal itself when properly run, if it was OK before it went to bed.
Sticky clutch etc that will be fine once properly warmed and abused

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

adithorp

posted on 1/5/13 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure you're getting first and second? Could they be 2nd and 3rd, which would explain why you can't find neutral between.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

johnny chimpo

posted on 1/5/13 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, pretty sure its 1st & 2nd, It wont go down any lower and definately feels as if the paddle is being put into the lowest gear, i can also pull away easily in what I believe to be 1st gear when on the flat. Although my drive way is quite a steep slope and when I tried to drive out the garage tonight it kept stalling, I just put that down to not having driven it for the best part of a year.

Stupidly when I took it around the block I never thought to look at the gear indicator right in front of my face to see what gear I was in!!!!

After the problem selecting gears I put it back in the garage and drained the oil out it as that was something I could at least check off my "to do" list . Will get the oil and filter replaced on it tomorrow and have another play about.

mark chandler

posted on 2/5/13 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
It's very easy to confuse 1st with 5th, been there and done that when struggling on the start line.

Also oddly enough finding neutral with your foot on a bike is much easier that with your hands, I think it's the way your joints work as the muscles are stronger so you can control push short movements when it's easy to push to far by hand.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 2/5/13 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Stupid question from a rather stupid person....

Are you basing your lack of neutral on an inability to actually get neutral (i.e no drive), or an inability to observe a neutral light?

johnny chimpo

posted on 4/5/13 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Well every time I think I've ran out of stupid things I've done I go and do something else as stupid!

I got to the bottom of the neutral problem.....

Took the car out this morning to do a 30mile shakedown test and as I pulled away from the house I noticed the gear indicator was displaying 6th!!!!!

It's been so long since I've driven the car that when I thought I was in 1st I was actually in 6th. Dropped down to first and hey presto neutral was available! Oh what an idiot!!!!!

Car is now taxed and insured so once the alignment is setup on Tuesday I can hopefully start getting some good use out the car.

Thanks for all the help as always guys, maybe we should have a section for the most common stupid mistakes!!!!!

enginearin

posted on 12/11/13 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Right, i'll own up... Just done exactly the same thing this morning after 6 months of not using the car!

What a wally!

Bloody thing still won't start, but at least i don't have a goosed gearbox

johnny chimpo

posted on 12/11/13 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
So glad im not the only one!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.