Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Power train alignment
GaryM

posted on 12/8/05 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Power train alignment

Before I finalise the position of my engine/mounts and order a propshaft, I would feel happier if I understood all the considerations with regards the power train alignment.

Am I right in thinking that the centreline of the whole engine crankshaft/gearbox output shaft (1600 xflow + 4 speed gbox) needs to be exactly perpendicular AND inline with the centre of the diff input flange (live banjo axle) but only in the horizontal plane (i.e. as viewed from above)?

I seem to remember that someone suggested older westfields (with very similar powertrains to the book locost) offset their xflow engine position by 18mm to the passenger side?

[Edited on 12/8/05 by GaryM]

200mph

posted on 12/8/05 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC its supposed to be offset slightly.. cant remember the reason for it though.

But have definitely seen pictures of offsettedness in propshafts, whether intentional or not..

Someone else with the knowledge will fill us in though :-)

mark

stevebubs

posted on 12/8/05 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Gary,

Are you still running with the 4 speed box?

If so, you're welcome to borrow the old 4 speed prop from my fury to try and mock up your installation

S

mranlet

posted on 14/8/05 at 04:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 200mph
IIRC its supposed to be offset slightly.. cant remember the reason for it though.

But have definitely seen pictures of offsettedness in propshafts, whether intentional or not..

Someone else with the knowledge will fill us in though :-)

mark

They do need to be offset a bit (<3 degrees for optimum longevity and power transfer). Exactly perpindicular shafts will cause the U-joints to freeze up and, eventually, break.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.