Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Specifications
Donkeymatt

posted on 13/1/07 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
R1 Specifications

Hi guys! After much deliberation, looks like I am going for an R1 block for my build.
Just wondering if there is any particular years/models which are better for performance, and any that should be avoided. Thanks for your help!
Matt

smart51

posted on 13/1/07 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
98-99 are slightly different to 00/01 carbed engines. 02/03 are fuel injected but hardly more powerful. They are slightly taller (have a deeper sump). 04 onwards are very different. The have an extra 2000 revs which allow more top end power (180 vs 150). but mean you need more silenceing. 1st gear is taller but the others are shorter, making the car no qicker off the line to, say 50 MPH, but more revvy on the motorway.

Carbed engines are more simple to set up as you just need a screwdriver to tweak, but are harder to pass through emissions. FI is harder to set up (you need a laptop) but are more powerful, smoother, cleaner at SVA and MOT and are that bit newer.

Probably the best one to go for is a 2002 / 2003 engine. That said, I have a 1998 engine and is is just great.

fishywick

posted on 13/1/07 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
I asked a similar question a few days ago. hopefully this is the link.
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=57662

Hellfire

posted on 13/1/07 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
I'd disagree with Smart51 with regard to the FI vs carb systems. Only to say that Carb'd engines are more difficult to set up as it is a physical setup. FI is more simple - but more costly as you need a Laptop/PC and a Power Commander (or mapping system) to alter setup maps.

Without being pedantic, there is a little error "hardly more powerful" to "more powerful". FI is easier once you have the resources.

What FI (and a Power Commander) allows you to do is to simply optimise exchange exhaust systems. One system for road and one for track - by dowloading a new map to the Power Commander it gives you optimum power and efficiency for each system very easily. Each exhaust can be measured on a rolling road for maximum power at a certain noise level...

IMHO go for FI everytime.

Steve

chockymonster

posted on 13/1/07 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Marc at MNR couldn't believe the difference between 2002-2003 FI engine and the earlier ones. He said the FI one was much easier to drive, especially around town.

Getting the FI setup is really easy, ok you need a PC/Laptop and a Powercommander but when you want to change something you can get it remapped exactly to suit.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 13/1/07 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
As mentioned, top end the 02/03 FI engine isn't really any more powerful than the earlier engines, but according to people that have driven both, it does have a significantly stronger mid range which probably is the reason people find it easier to drive.

Also I think the FI helps when pulling away, with my 03 engine I can quite easily pull away on a flat surface without any throttle applied. Ive not driven a carbed R1 but my old carbed blade would have struggled to do that 1 in 10 times, and if you managed to get it rolling you'd then almost certainly get a major kangaroo session going on because of the abruptness of the initial power delivery when you first get on the throttle. With EFI you don't seem to get this, it will feed the power in smoothly making it much easier to drive in town etc.

Chris

smart51

posted on 13/1/07 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
I'd disagree with Smart51 with regard to the FI vs carb systems. Only to say that Carb'd engines are more difficult to set up as it is a physical setup.

What I was saying is that you only need a screwdriver to set up a carbed engine. For FI you need a more complicated tool - a PC.

02/03 FI engine are hardly more powerful than the carbed engines, 5% maybe. 04 engines have perhaps 20% more power.

chockymonster

posted on 13/1/07 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
What I was saying is that you only need a screwdriver to set up a carbed engine. For FI you need a more complicated tool - a PC.

Ah, but how much easier is that laptop at richening the mixture at 8-9,000 rpm when the car isn't running right

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 13/1/07 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster
Ah, but how much easier is that laptop at richening the mixture at 8-9,000 rpm when the car isn't running right

I agree entirely. The cost of a laptop adds to the cost of the build though and most people tune their car once, at a rolling road. I believe that I said the 02/03 engine was the best of the bunch and the precision of tuning is one factor in that recomendataion.

G.Man

posted on 13/1/07 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
And on the R1 power commander you can further tune the engine with the optional ignition module..

That helps to make it even better

another good reason for FI

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

chockymonster

posted on 14/1/07 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G.Man
And on the R1 power commander you can further tune the engine with the optional ignition module..

That helps to make it even better

another good reason for FI

Only the 04 or 06 engines with the USB. The 02/03 model can only be done with a PC3R.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.