Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lorry Drivers Suck...
coozer

posted on 10/3/07 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Lorry Drivers Suck...

Traveling along the M1 on Friday I witnessed a lorry pull over from the nearside lane and clip the back end of a Polo who was in the middle lane.

The Polo spun round, hit the front of the lorry and was pushed along sideways before sliding of into the barrier on the hard shoulder.

The lady driving the car will have been terrified by no means for the ride she experienced.

I have witnessed this happen 3 times in the last two years and was once forced onto the central reservation myself on the M6 by a lorry pulling over.

One blink of the indicator and they pull straight over. Just who do they think they are, using a 40 ton lorry to force other road users around? Its tantamount to using the lorry as a lethal weapon.

It's time for the freight to go back on the rails and reduce these inconsiderate truckers.

Anyone ever noticed how they won't move out of the inside lane to let you join the motorway from the slip road?

Just getting it off my chest....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

nige

posted on 10/3/07 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
please dont tar all truckers with one brush

have you ever driven one ?

when you start this journey
you think it will be done in " no " time but then " no " turns into a " bloody " long time

coozer

posted on 10/3/07 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I have. They should be banned off the roads.

Imagine the motorway at peak times with no trucks....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

blakep82

posted on 10/3/07 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
imagine going to tesco, and there being no food

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

nige

posted on 10/3/07 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
coming down a slip road you have the choice of speed he will be on the limiter at
55 mph , its up to you to get on

in an ideal world goods back on the railways , mmmm no rails left ???
thats not going to happen

when you start this journey
you think it will be done in " no " time but then " no " turns into a " bloody " long time

David Jenkins

posted on 10/3/07 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen a lot of decent lorry drivers, and a small number of appalling ones...

I've had them pull to the outside lane when I've come out on a slip road (when they can), or give me space and flash their lights to tell me it's OK.

The ones I'm wary of are the foreign left-hand-drive ones who can't see you when they want to pull out - they ARE a hazard.

David

[Edited on 10/3/07 by David Jenkins]

nitram38

posted on 10/3/07 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
There have been a lot of accidents involving left hand drive lorries.
I think that these are the main culprits.

jlparsons

posted on 10/3/07 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
That's what I'm thinking. Lots of drivers coming from the continent these days who have no idea how to drive in the UK and in trucks that wouldn't get past MOT. Police appear to be on it though, it was all over the news a couple of months back.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

mark.s

posted on 10/3/07 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
imagine going to tesco, and there being no food

that would be great...then we would have to use our local shops
i hope the lady and any passengers in the polo where ok

[Edited on 10/3/07 by mark.s]

MikeR

posted on 10/3/07 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
couple of things that annoy me....

left and right hand lorry drivers getting into the left hand lane at a roundabout and then turning right.

the state of some of the lorries that park up near work. Saw one last week with almost slicks on. Thats a 38t lethal weapon as soon as it rains

blakep82

posted on 10/3/07 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
^tesco is local to me

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mistergrumpy

posted on 10/3/07 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
left and right hand lorry drivers getting into the left hand lane at a roundabout and then turning right
Ah but if they did'nt do this they wouldn't make it round the roundabout. They're allowed to straddle the two lanes or take the space they need as long as they do it in good time on the approach.

mark.s

posted on 10/3/07 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
^tesco is local to me

have you got a mcdonalds to?

[Edited on 10/3/07 by mark.s]

blakep82

posted on 10/3/07 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
LOL we used to have 3 in Greenock, one mcdonalds was even in the sports centre... we only have 1 mcdonalds now

BenB

posted on 10/3/07 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Actually, colleague at work got his car written off last weekend... Lorry sideswiped him, car spun and crashed into the central barrier....
"sorry mate, didn't see you- must have been in my blind spot...."....
Sadly, the quality of lorry driving seems to be getting worse. Driving up the A1 a fortnight ago, overtaking a lorry when without indicating it just pulled out- (I was literally alongside its rear wheels- luckily I braked pretty quickly) I'm sure it's still have some Nissan Cinnabar red stuck onto its rear bumper.... No excuses that time- not in the blind spot- just plain jz driving...
Though I was slightly more annoyed with the lorry driver who decided because his lorry could drive 2mph faster than the lory in front he'd do a five minute overtaking manoever, bringing the dual carriageway A1M to an astounding 45mph at some points. What a gimp..... Personally I'd ban all lorries from overtaking, they're all speed limited, so they all do the same speed- why the need for overtaking- just a particularly antisocial and dangerous pissing competition between fat assed wazzocks

Peteff

posted on 10/3/07 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone ever noticed how they won't move out of the inside lane to let you join the motorway from the slip road?

It's their right of way they are already on the main carriageway, it's your responsibility to filter in to them not force them over or try to beat them. Read the Highway Code.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 10/3/07 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
just a particularly antisocial and dangerous pissing competition between fat assed wazzocks

very true, but how much more annoying is it when two cars decide to drive at the same speed side by side? Always a little under the limit and probably just before a hill where me in a van needed a fast run up...

I try not to let it get to me, but i see a crap driver every 300 yards. They probably think the same of me as i blitz past at double the limit....

Simon

posted on 11/3/07 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
Instead of having lorry cabs 15 feet in the air, put them the same height at car drivers.

We have a Waitrose & Tesco within 200yds of a rail line. Waitrose carpark is actually built on what was once a siding!!! 20 lorries a week, when 4 freight carriages would do!

ATB

Simon

gazza285

posted on 11/3/07 at 01:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Personally I'd ban all lorries from overtaking, they're all speed limited, so they all do the same speed- why the need for overtaking

Just perhaps some have lighter loads than others, which allows for better speeds while climbing a gradient? It only needs a slight gradient to knock a fully loaded wagon down an MPH or two. Perhaps if you had driven a loaded wagon, be it a fully loaded 7&1/2 tonnes LGV or a proper HGV then you might understand their temperament a little. There's a lot more inconsiderate car drivers out there than HGV drivers. I can see what the HGV driver is going to do a long time before they do it and drive accordingly (it helps having driven the things like) and I never seem to have a problem with them pulling out on me.

quote:
Originally posted by coozer

They should be banned off the roads.
Imagine the motorway at peak times with no trucks.

Yeh, it would still be full of cars. The trucks are there all day. Do you think that truck drivers want to be at work while you are going home? There's less trucks on the road at peak times already as it bites into their driving hours and costs more in diesel than travelling at quite hours, you are there to annoy them, not the other way round. Have a look in the nearest truck stop at rush hour. Rush hour is a strictly car based experience.

[Edited on 11/3/07 by gazza285]

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gazza285

posted on 11/3/07 at 01:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
I see a crap driver every 300 yards.

Well stop looking at yourself in the rear view mirror so much

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
martin1973

posted on 11/3/07 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
please don't label all us truckers the same.

and deffo don't do it whilst sit on a chair or eating or using the pc as without us there wouldn't be any of them.

martin

Hellfire

posted on 11/3/07 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
I love reading discussions about Lorry Drivers...

I have to admit I was a anti-lorry brigade paid up member with T-SHirt and Video. I drive between 45-50K as part of my job. I am a technical engineer. I have been doing this job for 9 years. I have had NO endorsements for the last 17 or so years and am an Advanced Driver.

Just recently however I have paid particular attention to the numer plate country origin. This will indicate how much more consideration you need to give particular vehicles (not just lorries). Now I'm not sexist and most women will openly admit to not being able to control the vehicle they are in as good as a man (sweeping statement but hear me out), but it's a fact.

Now, that guy driving the lorry obviously didn't intend to punt that Polo... it may have been that the lorry was left hand drive and half asleep. My feelings are with the Polo driver... but the fact remains that if we (as car drivers) are more alert, concentrate more and above all respect the guys that have schedules to meet (me included) the roads would be a safer place.

The fact remains that we are still not allowed on the motorways as part of learning process and women tend to not be so confident at driving, if we all improved our driving by going on an driving awareness course or even taking an advanced driving test the standard of driving on the roads would significantly improve. 9 out of 10 of the lorry drivers are excellent drivers it's the 1 that gives the others a bad name... it also applies to car drivers!

How many of us have had any further driver training other than to pass the original test? I have, any more?

Steve

Catpuss

posted on 11/3/07 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
After nearly being run into by two HGVs (one tailgaiting me, whilst the other pulled accross) with the family in the car I can appreciate what you mean.

It used to be years ago that they were the Knights of the Road. Now there are a significant number of arse holes who just give you abuse if you don't treat them like they own the road. Unfortunatly its the arse holes like the one that ran over the scooter on the motorway then drove off that ruin what was once a really good reputation.

Peteff

posted on 11/3/07 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
The Polo was probably doing 50 in the middle lane if it got clipped as he was moving over anyway My wife took a two hour motorway lesson with BSM after she passed her test. I was driving when they built and opened the motorways but I now seldom use them. Lane discipline is non-existent and drivers coming on seem to expect you to move not them filter in as I said earlier. People get on and then get a red mist and turn it into a race track.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MkIndy7

posted on 11/3/07 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, More motorway experience and driver awareness is definately the answer!

Just look how bad the roads are now at weekends.. 1/2 the traffic but because its all the sunday drivers the traffic is as bad if not worse!
The people who drive alot just get on with it during the week because they are aware of whats going on and they all want to get where there going as easily as possible.

I probably drive about 25K a year.. and yes I'm a white van man but only to and from servicing jobs and after having driven crap fully loaden underpowered vans I can completely sympathise with the Lorry drivers.

What does mistify me is when i'm swinging a bit of time steadily driving home at 65-70mph in the inside lane I have trucks catching me up whats that all about... 53mph limited my a*se

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.