Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Corner Weighting
greggors84

posted on 26/5/07 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Corner Weighting

Going to get the corner weights set up on the flat patch at work.

Been thinking about ballast in the seats. Is it best to have full driver weight in the drivers seat or maybe 40kg (half of 80kg average weight) in each seat. This would be a compromise as alot of the time I have someone in the passenger seat even on trackdays. But it means when I was out on my own, it wouldnt be miles out.

Its a compromise, but would it work?

Also when corner weighting, the plan is to set the ride height (havent decieded what yet, need to read some more) then tweak the corner weights diagonally across the axles using the spring platforms.

I'm aiming for 50:50 left and right, how about front to rear, or shall i just leave this down to the ride height. (Any recommendations for ride height by the way?)

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

britishtrident

posted on 26/5/07 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
100mm/4" is a good minimum ground clearance for road use -- what that translates to as ride height measured under the chassis will depend on your sump and bellhousing.

The reason for choosing 4" is based on the size of any road debris or speed bumps that you might encounter.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

smart51

posted on 26/5/07 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
I have 100mm ground clearance under mine (a bit less under the sump) and have had no problems.

As for corner weights, I wouldn't go half and half. You'll always have the full driver's weight in the car when driving. If you often have a passengers weight and often not, perhaps half weight in the passenger seat would be a good balance.

worX

posted on 26/5/07 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've set mine up for 100mm at the front and 125mm at the back.

I also corner weighted my car a few weeks ago (do your ride height first!)

you have to choose which way you wanted to go - I thought that I would mostly be on the limit when on my own when the setup needed to be as good as possible, and when I had a Pax then I wouldn't be driving on the limit so a slight alteration in how it handled wouldn't be the worst, and so for that reason I set the corner weights with me in the drivers seat only.

I set it up so that it was 50/50 diagonally (left front/right rear - right front/left rear)

very happy with the setup now!

Steve

higgsti

posted on 26/5/07 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
the bottom front wishbones should be level with the floor on my megabusa i had 115mm measured at front of chassis on both sides b4 corner weighting and 140mm at rear.full weight of driver in seat and as suggested half weight of passenger in other seat.have a read of this
http://7faq.com/owbase/ow.asp?FlatFloorSetup

nitram38

posted on 26/5/07 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
My new project "X" will be only 75mm from the road, but I am fitting bilstien airshocks with a compressor.
The car can be raised to 150mm if necessary or dropped onto the road when parked.
I am fitting titanium blocks on the chassis in casr of shock failure!!!

britishtrident

posted on 26/5/07 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by worX
I've set mine up for 100mm at the front and 125mm at the back.

snip
Steve

Yes a front to rear rake is a good thing to have.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

greggors84

posted on 28/5/07 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the ideas on the ride height.

Who has any views on setting the weight 50:50 left to right or 50:50 diagonally.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

smart51

posted on 29/5/07 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
The way I read corner weighting, you find the car’s F/R weight distribution and the car’s L/R weight distribution. You should then calculate the required weight on each wheel.

If the car has 60% of its weight on the front and 55% on the right (with you in it of course) then you should have 27% of the FL wheel 33% on the FR, 18% on the RL and 22% on the RR.

I wouldn’t guarantee that I’ve got this right though

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.