Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Asbestos Removal Prices
James

posted on 6/1/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Asbestos Removal Prices

Greetings all,

Has anyone got experience of getting asbestos removed? I gather it's expensive but I'm wondering if it's £100's or £1000's?

The ceiling of my neighbours double garage has got two 8x4 sheets of it nailed over the ropey plasterboard ceiling and he wants to convert the garage to a study.

Can't remember the name of the type of asbestos... it's the 40% asbestos mix stuff.

Any good companies that do a good service/price?

Thanks,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 6/1/08 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
P.S. If you already have lung cancer and fancy giving it a go then give me a yell.... you can make a few quid!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Guinness

posted on 6/1/08 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
It's not too bad.

First off, make sure it is asbestos. Get a company to come out and take a sample and get it analysed. Sampling costs between £50 and £80 for me.

Secondly get some reputable companies to give you a quote. Prices vary between different companies, dependant on their workload etc etc.

Real cost depends on whether the work will be "notifiable" to the HSE. If it is, there is a 14 day period between notifying the HSE and starting work. Once it is notifiable you have to have all the risk assessments and method statements, plus changing facilities etc.

IF it is the corrougated sheets you MIGHT be able to do it yourself! There are some asbestos works that are not notifiable and provided you work with decent PPE and to a safe method, having assessed all the risks you can double bag it and get rid of it to a licenced disposal site.

Don't shoot me if this isn't 100% right. I'm at home at the mo and the regs are in the office!

HTH

Mike

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Planning/DoingWorkYourself/DG_10022562

coozer

posted on 6/1/08 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Just rip the bugger off and burn it.

Too much mamby pamby health and safety around these days.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

takumi

posted on 6/1/08 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Rip it out yourself and leave all the rubbish on council property. They will have to foot the dissposal bill.

I read that in a news paper somewhere..

RobinHood 2B 2.0i pinto, Keihin 38mm Carbs, lightened flywheel, O'Mori remote filter kit, 10 row oil cooler. Modified head, 10.2cr, special valves FR22 cam, 4- 1 header.

Dangle_kt

posted on 6/1/08 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
asbestos has been downgraded from what it was a few years ago. So the prices will have dropped too. We had our lounge replastered the other month after a water leak, they ripped it up good and proper. But they just had masks (no oxygen supply) and they just sealed themselves in with a big plastic liner and we could stay in the house.

They were a specilist company still, but I think as long as you do a bit of reserch and say the right things about it being downgraded to the guy giving you the quote it should be reasonable. I'd say £1k max as a guess (considering the work they did and the cost to dispose of the waste properly)

nitram38

posted on 6/1/08 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I wouldn't do it myself, but if you do, spray it with lots of water as this will stop the particles from flying everywhere and use a mask too.
Burning it is not a good idea as it makes the particles airborn.

James

posted on 6/1/08 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Bugger doing it myself!

Guy's said he'll pay for it.... not gonna get lung cancer for someone else's money!!!

Would make Savate world champs a lot harder!

JoelP

posted on 6/1/08 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
i read up about this recently. The usual proceedure for garage roof removal is to remove carefully without breaking it, stack it up neat, wrap in a few tough layers of polythene, and take it to an approved waste facility. Its nothing like as dangerous as working with the stuff for a lifetime.
locoR1

posted on 6/1/08 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
When i replaced my garage roof i just removed the sheets carefully without breaking them wearing the appropriate PPE.

Then put them all nice and neatly between the garden shed and fence at the bottom of the garden and boarded the gap up lol
I had forgot all about them till now

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

Danozeman

posted on 6/1/08 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Theyr ok unless disturbed. If its concrete based stuff its not as bad as people make out.

Is there a pikey camp near you?? Theyl do it for cash and dump it in a layby.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

caber

posted on 6/1/08 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Asbestos sheet is not too bad its dust that is the problem. I had the "pleasure " of crawling through a roof space, running cables in a theatre, where the blue asbestos insulation was disintegrating. This was about 30 years ago and i did not have either an option or safety gear.

I still ain't dead yet!

Caber

JoelP

posted on 6/1/08 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
please folks, dumping on a council estate or in a layby just makes everyone else pay for disposal via their council tax. Plus it will cost lots more due to council incompetance and over zealous health and safety. Plus, i wouldnt pay a pikey to put out a house fire. They need to learn about an honest living ffs!
jolson

posted on 7/1/08 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
Check your local tip to see if they will take it. The one a few miles from me has a skip specifically for asbestos, and I took a bunch of old roof panels in when I built my garage (left over from the previous owner's attempted build).

Cheers

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.