Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wearing Crash Helmets
mistergrumpy

posted on 1/2/08 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Wearing Crash Helmets

Can anyone help me. I'm trying to find a source of information that tells you when and when not people have to wear a crash helmet. Specifically on quad bikes. I know that you don't have to wear them on quads and trikes but someone at work doesn't believe me for some reason and is pulling people up for it. She's one of them people that just won't listen at all (a woman! )

iank

posted on 1/2/08 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Here you go, along with a print out and show plod extract from the law

http://www.trikeshop.co.uk/trike_law.htm

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mistergrumpy

posted on 1/2/08 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
I err work for the plod, there's just too much beaurocracy sometimes and you can't find a damn thing Cheers

iank

posted on 1/2/08 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I know you do . The fact the trike guys put the extract on their page to print out shows that a lot of your colleagues also make the same mistake.

[Edited on 1/2/08 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Hammerhead

posted on 1/2/08 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
lmfao

It may be an idea for the plod main computer to be connected to locostbuilders - Just in case they need any laws clarifying! lol

This post is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time

[Edited on 1/2/08 by Hammerhead]

mistergrumpy

posted on 1/2/08 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
You are right mate. Though I shouldn't say it but some people just seem to take a wild guess sometimes and in my eyes this is just innocent persecution of the motorist. Cheers very much

Yep there's not much this site can't answer. Now then a harder one. BEC or CEC? or what about alloy uprights?

[Edited on 1/2/08 by mistergrumpy]

nitram38

posted on 1/2/08 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Not that I ride a trike/quad, but I would wear a helmet even if it is not law!
mistergrumpy

posted on 1/2/08 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
I possibly would if only to keep the flies and dreaded 4 ton bumble bee coming the other way at 60mph I've had one one these hit me in the helmet (oo err!) on my motorbike and you really feel it

Hammerhead

posted on 1/2/08 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
I reckon BEC with alloy uprights - but hey I'm building a CEC with steel uprights. So what do I know.

DarrenW

posted on 1/2/08 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Its interesting in the legal bit that if the wheels are less than 460mm apart (ie where they contact the road) then the wheels will be classed as one and it will then be a bicycle and helmets must be worn.

So no building mini trikes then and not wearing a helmet.

smart51

posted on 1/2/08 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Wheels less than 460mm apart will be counted as 1 wheel. Does that make mini motos unicycles?
worX

posted on 1/2/08 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Wheels less than 460mm apart will be counted as 1 wheel. Does that make mini motos unicycles?

David Jenkins

posted on 1/2/08 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
I possibly would if only to keep the flies and dreaded 4 ton bumble bee coming the other way at 60mph I've had one one these hit me in the helmet (oo err!) on my motorbike and you really feel it

I've had a big fat bumblebee or hornet hit my visor at 70mph - didn't half make me jump! One hell of a bang!

wilkingj

posted on 1/2/08 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Legal requirement or not, Its just plain crackers NOT to wear one.

Also Your Insurance Co could reduce your claim as you are not taking reasonable steps to ensure your own safety.

Been there with a Wasp at 40MPH, and also one getting in the side of my open face helmet (nearly 40 years ago when it wasnt a legal requirement to wear a helmet on a Motorcycle!)

GO ON YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
K999NNY

posted on 1/2/08 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
I too am a plod. not totally related to the thread but id recommend buying a hughes guide for traffic law. cost £20 then £10 per year for 2 upgrades a year. Ive found it invaluable.
Hellfire

posted on 1/2/08 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy

Obviously that speed is just for you in a 40 zone.... you'll be fine honestly!!! LOL Sorry, it's a cheap shot, but I thought it quite relevant... no offence!!!

Steve

[Edited on 1-2-08 by Hellfire]

mistergrumpy

posted on 1/2/08 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Now now. I never said anything about driving my bike in a 40 zone and I don't ride quads either. Contain yourself Mr Steve

iank

posted on 1/2/08 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
I agree it's mad not to wear some eye protection at least and a (good quality ) helmet on anything you could fall/be knocked off.

To be honest she's been missing a trick going for the helmet on quads. Much more productive to ensure they still have weedy (15bhp ish IIRC) engines if they are road registered as quadricycles. If they've been upgraded then they need a full SVA to be legal

Edit: been dealing with lawyers all this week and it seems to have stuck, I'm sure I'll feel better after a pint or two

[Edited on 1/2/08 by iank]

--
Anonymous

jolson

posted on 4/2/08 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Got to agree, wearing a helmet is just common sense once you're going any faster than you can run. Doubly so if you're only on two wheels.

Saw this last week. Have a look at the photos in the first posting on this thread.

Cheers

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.