Board logo

i just bought one WOOHOO!
ned - 17/7/03 at 03:16 PM

Just found my ideal donor car on ebay, with buy it now for £25. ideal.

any jealous persons follow the link to see what you missed....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2424002360

ned.

Rick - 17/7/03 at 03:23 PM

So now is the time to stop talking and start doing

Well thats what the wife told me anyway.

Rick

ned - 17/7/03 at 03:29 PM

a couple-a weekends and she should be stripped to bits.

luckily no-one will notice a difference in my posts as i don't post at the weekends anyway...

ut at least i will be doing something, so people can't complain too much!!

Ned.

DaveFJ - 17/7/03 at 04:22 PM

just remember to loosen the rear hub nuts before you remove the rear suspension .... hmmmm

anyone got several REALLY fat mates that can sit on it for me ???

Have fun!

James - 17/7/03 at 04:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by protofj
just remember to loosen the rear hub nuts before you remove the rear suspension .... hmmmm

anyone got several REALLY fat mates that can sit on it for me ???

Have fun!

Take it to your local garage witha decent air gun and chuck 'em a fiver for their trouble!

sorry if you've heard me say it before but mine needed 650lbs/ft to get it off!

Good Luck!

James

theconrodkid - 17/7/03 at 07:39 PM

i didnt take mine off

GasGasGas - 17/7/03 at 08:37 PM

a couple of weekends??
with your long aquired knowledge of'a here ,should it all have done by tea on saturday.

Peteff - 17/7/03 at 11:27 PM

Isn't there a left hand thread in there somewhere?.

yours, Pete.

ChrisW - 18/7/03 at 07:56 AM

Urgh! Not gold

Yes, one side is LH and the other RH thread. Good job really, otherwise they'd undo as you went along!

Chris

[Edited on 18/7/03 by ChrisW]

James - 18/7/03 at 08:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
i didnt take mine off

You don't need them off if you've got drums- discs do though.
Saying that though you could leave them on even with discs- you've just got to cut off the Sierra upright from around the hub. To fit it to your Indy upright you've then got to cut it (the upright) in half and re-weld it together around the hub. Perhaps not the best method!!!

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Yes, one side is LH and the other RH thread. Good job really, otherwise they'd undo as you went along!

Chris

Have a feeling someone said that it's only the newer ones with LH/RH thread??? Or have I invented that?
Ned's is 'D' reg so would it apply?

Whatever! He'll soon find out!

James

Fatboy Dave - 18/7/03 at 08:40 PM

quote:

Have a feeling someone said that it's only the newer ones with LH/RH thread??? Or have I invented that?
Ned's is 'D' reg so would it apply?

Nope, all nearside hubnuts are left hand thread, all offside hubnuts are right hand thread, regardless.

[Edited on 18/7/03 by Fatboy Dave]

Stu16v - 18/7/03 at 11:13 PM

IIRC there were a 'batch' of Sierras that left the production line with r/h r/h threads

Fatboy Dave - 19/7/03 at 03:20 PM

Ooooops

Someone will be in for a bit of a shock on the motorway. As Chris said, the NS hub nut would be able to undo itself as the wheel rotates

kingr - 20/7/03 at 11:47 AM

Only if they tear the splines off. Also, if you think about it, braking would apply a force in the opposite direction which would be similar to that of accelerating.

Kingr

Mark18 - 20/7/03 at 04:38 PM

quote:
Just found my ideal donor car on ebay, with buy it now for £25. ideal.

any jealous persons follow the link to see what you missed....

Well if that makes you jealous, you probably won't want to know that I have just acquired a Sierra Cosworth 4x4 for nothing - It's missing an engine and transmission, but that won't affect me as I'm using a crash repairable bike for that - and apparently these go for a bit less over here too.

Sorry bout that but I'm feeling quite pleased with myself at the moment - I am a bit worried about the size of those discs though.

blueshift - 20/7/03 at 06:03 PM

Ooh you lucky get. I'd be happy with an xr4x4 with no engine and gearbox.. hopefully find one eventually.

Stu16v - 20/7/03 at 10:23 PM

quote:

Someone will be in for a bit of a shock on the motorway. As Chris said, the NS hub nut would be able to undo itself as the wheel rotates

The wheel nuts are also R/H thread.......

And they arent done up 'alf as tight as the hub nut.....

ned - 21/7/03 at 09:37 AM

hmm, so does this mean the sierra disc brake rear axle, still attached to the trailing arms that i bought off kingr some months ago wil be a bu**er to get apart?

Ned....

ps the 2ltr pinto is up for sale, only 69000 miles, runs well... see forsale/wanted scetion