Board logo

VIN Number Allocation
andrew.carwithen - 15/12/13 at 03:27 PM

Now that the local DVLA centres are closed, what is the procedure for getting a VIN/Chassis number allocated to your kit? (Pilgrim don't supply one.)
In the past, some centres would allow you to provide your own unique 17-digit number and others would only accept numbers provided by themselves.
As everything is now dealt with through Swansea, is there a form etc. to apply for one?
I'm not referring to the full registration/IVA process btw - but just the VIN so I can stamp it into the chassis before fitting the body.

AndyW - 15/12/13 at 04:00 PM

I just wrote to Swansea explaining what I was building, and a week later came through my chassis number.

[Edited on 15/12/13 by AndyW]

andrew.carwithen - 15/12/13 at 07:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
I just wrote to Swansea explaining what I was building, and a week later came through my chassis number.

[Edited on 15/12/13 by AndyW]

Cheers, Andy
Was that via e-mail or did you send a good old-fashioned letter?
I have trawled the DVLA site and it looks like they can be contacted either way (and even by phone - though it looks like a call is chargeable)

AndyW - 15/12/13 at 07:57 PM

I did the old fashioned way and sent a letter, I will see if I can find a copy as there was a basic template letter that I just filled in my details and the bits relevant to my build. I'm sure Carl Knight (member on here) sent me the word template, or you could try a search on the Haynes forum as I seem to think that's where it originally came from.

If I find it I will let you know .

May be a day or two before I get chance to trawl my computer....

Thanks

Andy

andrew.carwithen - 16/12/13 at 09:09 PM

Andy, I have been over and looked at the Haynes forum.
Was this the address you sent your letter to?

VC15A
MASET
Longview Road
Morriston
Swansea
SA6 7JL