Board logo

alternator rebuild
beaver34 - 13/11/14 at 12:58 PM

hi,

i have a small race alternator on my build, it seems to randomly work and some times not, when driving my dash has battery read out and it will fall to just battery level and the battery light comes back on the dash.

i stopped and restarted and checked with multimeter and the dash readout matches the multimeter that was reading over 14v

can they be rebuild as such and who can do it? will have a look at it tonight and see what type it is

thanks

snakebelly - 13/11/14 at 02:38 PM

is it actually a "Race Alternator" or just a small Denso or similar? If its just a small alternator I would be tempted to just buy a new one, you'll probably have to give your old back for the old core surcharge refund anyway.
If on the other hand it is a full race alternator then it should have a supplier or manufacturer label, Brise or the like in whioch case send it back to them for a rebuild.

HTH

RickRick - 13/11/14 at 03:14 PM

i've just done the alternator in my bmw

took the back cover off, removed the brush cover and found worn brushes. on this unit they are built as part of the diode pack/unit ordered a replacmeant for £24 4 bolts back together working fine now beats £160 + exchange

beaver34 - 13/11/14 at 05:30 PM

Not sure gonna whip it off and see what it is tomorrow evening

beaver34 - 13/11/14 at 06:44 PM

had a quick look its one of these

Powerlite RAC003 - 40 Amp Universal Lightweight High Performance Alternator