Board logo

How much do you spend on the wife/girlfriend/partner/husband at Christmas
carpmart - 22/11/10 at 04:37 PM

Hi All

Just keen to get a ballpark figure as to what you perceive to be a sensible budget for the other half's Crimbo pressies?

scudderfish - 22/11/10 at 04:39 PM

How much is a bar of Dairy Milk?

Davegtst - 22/11/10 at 04:40 PM

It's easy, the more you spend on her the more things for the car she will buy for you. I think we are up to about £600 atm as i need seats, ecu, speedo healer, gear indicator, steering wheel etc.

marcjagman - 22/11/10 at 04:40 PM

Bugger all, don't love her that much. Only buying for Grand kids.

Strontium Dog - 22/11/10 at 04:47 PM

How much does a hit man cost?!

gottabedone - 22/11/10 at 04:59 PM

maybe 600 quid and some seats, ecu, speedo healer, gear indicator, steering wheel

coozer - 22/11/10 at 05:02 PM

£2.99

handyandy - 22/11/10 at 05:03 PM

just cos of xmas.... why change habit of a life time???? spend nowt

cheers
andy
ps......anyways.....she spends it all on the kids

mads - 22/11/10 at 05:06 PM

To stop either of us going OTT with presents, we set a budget of £50 each and stick to it. Birthdays are a bit more but we then just do things for each other throughout the year e.g. I'm taking her to see Jimmy Carr next month.

FFTS - 22/11/10 at 05:09 PM

NOTHING!!!!!

She left me

Cheaper now though hey

contaminated - 22/11/10 at 05:14 PM

I've just bought her a Nintendo DSi XL. The trade off is that she'll be spending £100 with Russbost this week for mine

BenB - 22/11/10 at 05:16 PM

Quite a lot because it was her birthday a month ago but we postponed it because we were both too busy with work and I think now she's realised that I've forgotten to un-postpone it

Steve Hignett - 22/11/10 at 05:20 PM

For the 12 days of Christmas

£5.99

Miks15 - 22/11/10 at 05:28 PM

weve decided to spend nothing and make gifts.... but her birthdays two days later... who gets the better end of this deal!

graememk - 22/11/10 at 05:47 PM

can i answer a question with a question ?

how little can i get away with spending on a ring ?

davrus - 22/11/10 at 06:03 PM

Aprox £3000

JoelP - 22/11/10 at 06:15 PM

im with mads, thats a sensible amount. It does obviously depend on what you can afford though!

A lad i know is 19, and sending £200 on a telly for his girlfriends kids. He only earns £200 a week

I was listening to a preacher a few years ago who was lamenting about people who get to christmas, still in debt from last time round. They've well missed the point.

MikeR - 22/11/10 at 06:43 PM

one thing to bear in mind - what ever value you set, make sure you know if the other half is going to spend over the amount (suppose its a bit like 30mph speed limits, we all know they're the limit but some people go a bit faster). We set a limit first christmas and she went over it made me feel a bit of a muppet.

Biggest problem we have is she doesn't get the fact that i don't care how little she spends. If she gets me some of the things from the list i've been dropping hints from over the last 6 weeks then i'll be happy. (nb how nice i am, i've been making a point of saying "oooh thats really nice, i'd love that for christmas" so she knows what i'd like & the list isn't 200 pound seats, its 5 pound fury hat etc).

[Edited on 22/11/10 by MikeR]

RichardK - 22/11/10 at 07:37 PM

Dunno, she buys it and gives it to me to wrap

deltron63 - 22/11/10 at 07:41 PM

Nothing , we go to the USA every year instead

ravingfool - 22/11/10 at 07:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Dunno, she buys it and gives it to me to wrap

The Solution!

woodster - 22/11/10 at 07:48 PM

Good question I was wondering do I spend the same on the wife and the girlfriend

Ivan - 22/11/10 at 08:11 PM

We don't give each other gifts at Xmas - so nothing.

For birthdays the birthday person gets to spend R1000 (about 80 Pounds) on something they want without the other having any right to comment on its frivolity.

ashg - 22/11/10 at 08:17 PM

never had a limit its the thought that counts

Benzine - 22/11/10 at 08:17 PM

i make all gifts for my girlfriend (in my sig) for xmas/bdays. Cheapest option plus 10000 times more appreciated.

blakep82 - 22/11/10 at 08:29 PM

i never really know the answer to this question, but i know the answer i'll get when i ask her what she wants, she'll say 'nothing' can't wait til christmas to see her face when she gets exactly what she asked for

mads - 22/11/10 at 09:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
one thing to bear in mind - what ever value you set, make sure you know if the other half is going to spend over the amount (suppose its a bit like 30mph speed limits, we all know they're the limit but some people go a bit faster). We set a limit first christmas and she went over it made me feel a bit of a muppet.

[Edited on 22/11/10 by MikeR]

i know what you mean but if you both have an understanding then that shouldn't happen. if anything i find it more of a personal challenge to make sure i spend nothing over the limit. Rachael has always been happy with the presents I've got her and vice versa - this year for her b'day she got a Radley handbag and I got tickets to see Lenny Henry and a canvas frame of my bike!!

as has been said, its the thought that counts and spending time with your loved one.

morcus - 23/11/10 at 12:18 AM

Currently being single it's not something I'm currently thinking about. Being together though is more important than presents, and if it's your wife both your gifts are likely to come from the same money any way.

There is another way of course, you take up a religon that doesn't give gifts at christmas, my Father is always claiming he's going to convert to puritanism for this purpose.

Tipster69 - 23/11/10 at 08:03 AM

Hi,

We buy each other the same thing every year, Tickets & Camping for Silverstone (F1). Works out about £250 each - best pressie ever.

dhutch - 23/11/10 at 09:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Currently being single it's not something I'm currently thinking about. Being together though is more important than presents.

Sounds good to me.
- Certainly this thread highlights that everyone treats everything diffrently and that you carnt guide one mans price off another.

That said, ive no idea what im going to buy for anyone, let alone the certain lady of choice.

Daniel

DaveFJ - 23/11/10 at 09:44 AM

But why oh why are women so damn difficult ?

she asks me what i want and she gets a list of possibles presents to select from ranging in price but all things i want / need...

I ask her and all i get every year is.... 'oh get me some perfume'..... Grrrrrrrrrrr
i like a present to be a surprise, if she needs perfume i'll damn well just buy it with the weekly shopping!
naturally she reserves the right to get miffed when she doesnt recieve the gift she really wanted but i was expected to know about by some form of devine intervention......

women...... snakes with tits! i swear it!

and in answer to tyhe first post - we 'try' to keep to about £100 each but she is terrible for going over - i think last year was more like £600!
I tend to go over a bit just because i know she will.. last year was about £170 i think...