Board logo

Which Lambda?
MakeEverything - 21/9/09 at 03:03 PM

So which O2 sensor is best for a 1.8 Zetec on MS2.2? Narrow or Wide Band?

I want to leave it connected if poss, so the cheaper the better.

omega0684 - 21/9/09 at 03:05 PM

wideband are the best for tuning have a look at the innovate lc-1 kit

cd.thomson - 21/9/09 at 03:07 PM

on the assumption cheaper = better. Off the mark narrowband is the leader, but when you consider its only going to be drivable after its been tuned by somebody with a wideband sensor anyway then WB comes out on top.

flak monkey - 21/9/09 at 03:11 PM

Wideband all the way

Import an LC1 from the states, works out about half the price of over here even if you get stung on import duty (which is only about 3% anyway)

David

BenB - 21/9/09 at 03:20 PM

If you go wideband you'll need to leave it connected to the juice whever the car is running. By all accounts if you don't the end gets all crudded up and it breaks the sensor.

MakeEverything - 21/9/09 at 03:23 PM

Cool, Thanks Guys.

Will narrow band work at all?

MikeRJ - 21/9/09 at 03:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Cool, Thanks Guys.

Narrow band is fine for keeping an already mapped system on target as components wear etc. but it's not really possible to accurately map and engine with it.

GrumpyOne - 21/9/09 at 04:02 PM

Would you need two wideband sensors for a V6?

nitram38 - 21/9/09 at 04:04 PM

I have the LC-1 and XD-16 gauge on the MotaLeira. About £180 delivered from Ebay USA.

BenB - 21/9/09 at 04:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyOne
Would you need two wideband sensors for a V6?

No. It's not like you're tuning individual cylinders after all.... If you have twin pipes (like me) you just use the lambda results from one side to control both sides.

MakeEverything - 21/9/09 at 05:13 PM

The ford cologne v6 had two in the headers, one for each side.

rusty nuts - 21/9/09 at 06:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Cool, Thanks Guys.

Narrow band is fine for keeping an already mapped system on target as components wear etc. but it's not really possible to accurately map and engine with it.

Not exactly true! I managed to get my engine very close using a narrow band sensor with an Emerald ECU , so close in fact that Dave Walker complimented me on getting it so close . Not saying that it was easy or that you won't benefit from a good rolling road session. It is in fact possible to use a multimeter and narrow band sensor to map an engine but it's not something I would recommend

sebastiaan - 21/9/09 at 07:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Cool, Thanks Guys.

Not exactly true! I managed to get my engine very close using a narrow band sensor with an Emerald ECU , so close in fact that Dave Walker complimented me on getting it so close . Not saying that it was easy or that you won't benefit from a good rolling road session. It is in fact possible to use a multimeter and narrow band sensor to map an engine but it's not something I would recommend

Indeed. If you're tuning an atmo engine then it can be done with relative ease if you know what you're doing. A turbocharged engine is a bit more difficult but also not impossible. I did my pinto with a narrowband and it's more then fine.

A wideband's just easier and a bit more flash.

MikeRJ - 21/9/09 at 07:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

The trouble is you can get the engine to run somewhere around stoich, which is fine for most conditions, but richening it up at WOT or leaning it out under cruise is very hit or miss, you know the engine ir running lean or rich, but not really by how much.

sebastiaan - 22/9/09 at 06:12 AM

If you know where stoich is, you can calculate how much you need to add/subtract to get to your preferred AFR. Not that difficult, really....