Board logo

Duratec alternator reposition
TrophyJem - 1/3/14 at 07:27 PM

I need to swap the alternator on my Duratec install to the exhaust side, but I can't work out what I need to do the job (cheaply).

The current set up is as per the piccy below, but I can't make this fit on my install.

hootsno1 - 1/3/14 at 08:23 PM

I may be able to help you out I made my own brackets to fit mine on the exhaust side but it failed on the steering shaft I'm back in my workshop tomorrow and will see if i can find them.
If you are you using the duratec alternator as i still have the original to.
Cheers
Mark

[Edited on 1/3/14 by hootsno1]

TrophyJem - 1/3/14 at 08:29 PM

I hadn't considered the steering column. I need to check that.

The alternator itself bolts straight on the exhaust side. It's the belt I can't work out.

big_wasa - 1/3/14 at 08:33 PM

Not a proper duratec but the lay out should still work.

[Edited on 1/3/14 by big_wasa]

hootsno1 - 1/3/14 at 09:26 PM

This is what it looks like in a mondeo but this one has an dry sump.

http://www.retro-ford.co.uk/shop/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/duratec%20belt%20run%20.jpg

I should still have all the parts you may need if you still want to put it on the exhaust side still.

TrophyJem - 1/3/14 at 09:32 PM

Blimey that's mad.
3 extra pulleys than I have already
But I definitely have to change as I haven't got room the other side.

peter030371 - 1/3/14 at 10:05 PM

Would a smaller alternator fit?

TrophyJem - 1/3/14 at 10:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
Would a smaller alternator fit?

It probably would but small alternators seem to be expensive.

I was trying to stop my continuous spend on this engine swap

big-vee-twin - 1/3/14 at 10:42 PM

Firstly I did this using a Micra alternator and its far to bnig to fit

[img] micra alternator - too big
micra alternator - too big
[/img]

I then realised I needed to spend a bit of cash and used a denso alternator like this

[img] ND Alternator
ND Alternator
[/img]

Unfortunately there are no short cuts when building a Duratec set up.

TrophyJem - 2/3/14 at 10:53 AM

Thanks for the pictures.

Do you know what denso alternator you bought?
Was it expensive?

Cheers

big-vee-twin - 2/3/14 at 12:57 PM

Funily enough it was 2nd hand off a Westfield.

However you can get them off Diahatsu Charade and other models or you can buy new from Brise.

Mine was about £40.00 I think.

Keep away from the Kubota ones they are not designed to spin at high rpm.

itsawindupuk - 2/3/14 at 03:02 PM

what about a standard alternator that comes with the mondeo / fiesta st? That's what I used.

TrophyJem - 2/3/14 at 03:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by itsawindupuk
what about a standard alternator that comes with the mondeo / fiesta st? That's what I used.

That's what I have at the moment, but I haven't got the room for it where it is on the throttle body side of the engine. I have room for it on the exhaust side, but I would need the 3 extra wheels to do that.

itsawindupuk - 2/3/14 at 03:38 PM

mine is on exhaust side, with just 2 small pulleys and one tensioner.

TrophyJem - 2/3/14 at 04:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by itsawindupuk
mine is on exhaust side, with just 2 small pulleys and one tensioner.

Any chance you could take a picture of your pulley arrangement?

pjay - 2/3/14 at 04:16 PM

quote:
That's what I have at the moment, but I haven't got the room for it where it is on the throttle body side of the engine. I have room for it on the exhaust side, but I would need the 3 extra wheels to do that.

Why 3 extra wheels? The standard Mondeo arrangement is as follows (shown with PS and AC pumps removed on the inlet side):

Description
Description

On the exhaust side you'd need a back driven pulley (top) and a tensioner (bottom). If you're thinking of a pulley on the inlet side at the bottom I've been running without one for a number years without a problem - as follows:

Aux drive belt set up
Aux drive belt set up

Having said that you'd still have the cost of the back driven pulley and tensioner approx. £25 back driven pulley and tensioner £32 - FORD FIESTA MK6/7 2.0 DURATEC ST150 DRIVEBELT TENSIONER ORIGINAL FORD 04-08

HTHs

TrophyJem - 2/3/14 at 04:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pjay
quote:

Why 3 extra wheels? The standard Mondeo arrangement is as follows (shown with PS and AC pumps removed on the inlet side):

Description
Description

On the exhaust side you'd need a back driven pulley (top) and a tensioner (bottom). If you're thinking of a pulley on the inlet side at the bottom I've been running without one for a number years without a problem - as follows:

Aux drive belt set up
Aux drive belt set up

Having said that you'd still have the cost of the back driven pulley and tensioner approx. £25 back driven pulley and tensioner £32 - FORD FIESTA MK6/7 2.0 DURATEC ST150 DRIVEBELT TENSIONER ORIGINAL FORD 04-08

HTHs

Thanks that's just what I needed.
It's just which route is cheaper now.
So much money to be spent on this duratec conversion!

pjay - 2/3/14 at 04:54 PM

Yep a Duratec conversion can take it's toll on the wallet! Hasn't stopped me opting for a Duratec again though.

Just another thought - you'd end up with two tensioners, bottom left and top right with what I said in my previous post. I'd suggest going for a second back driven pulley as I did mounted using aluminium drilled and spaced as required.

[Edited on 2/3/14 by pjay]

neilp1 - 4/3/14 at 07:58 PM

This is my set-up.

Description
Description