Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: generator not man enough
Jason Fletcher

posted on 5/11/08 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
generator not man enough

Although the generator is charging, if I drive at night with the lights, wipers, heated screen and using the klictronic the thing wont start the following morning. Is there a higher output generator available? Its a Busa by the way.

thanks
Jason

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/11/08 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
not using the hot water from the engine for the heater? LEDs for the lights might help also.

Have you put a meter across the battery to see if it's actually charging when everythings on, just incase the battery is rubbish

[Edited on 5/11/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 5/11/08 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
should have gone with a CEC!

I doubt there would be a larger generator, certainly not one for a sports bike. *** Had the donor been something like a gold wing which would have stereo system, fridge, kitchen sink, plasma TV fitted as standard would have been ok.

Alternative is to look at reducing the current drain.

LED lamps.
Brighter head lamps that take less amps.
Ensure current generator is working fully.
Ensure recrtifier/regulator are cooled.
Esnure cables a big to carry the current with least loss.
Heated windscreen is gonna sap current big time, not many motorbikes have these fitted and I suspect replacing this by hot air will give you ghe best benefit.

Otherwsie you are stuck - fit plug in side so you can recharge overnight.

What batery are you running with?

*** seems not so; how about 25% more?

at http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/

[Edited on 5/11/08 by 02GF74]

BenB

posted on 5/11/08 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Not to my knowledge!!!
Is it definately the alternator? It's worth checking the amps in the wire to the battery to make sure you're getting negative(!) charging of the battery (ie battery draining).

Changing the lights to LEDs (where applicable) is a good option.

Otherwise ditching the heated screen and using the excess heat in the coolant system (ie a mini heater) is a good option.

Other option is to try and somehow fit an external alternator. I'm fitting a supercharger to my BEC so I'll have an extra crank pulley anyway and one of the things I'm doing is fitting a bigger alternator....

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/11/08 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
buy two of these kits and mount them on the wing brackets so they touch the front tyres

saved the day again...

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 5/11/08 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
buy two of these kits and mount them on the wing brackets so they touch the front tyres

saved the day again...

Memories --- used to a standard trick in Special Saloons & Modsport to get round the "must be fitted with a generator regulation".

mcerd1

posted on 5/11/08 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

saved the day again...

...and when you stop your lights go out - so what you really want a pinto

but seriously - any savings you can make in the demand like LED lights are a good idea
if you do it, get the right flasher relay for LED indicators (fitting the resistors is pointless)

on the other hand I know several people with Busa cars that don't apear to have a problem (no windscreens or electric heaters though)
so if your sure its all working right - how much current does all that kit actually use ?

If you've got the space I can't see whats stopping you fitting a small CEC type altenator and extra crank pulley (in a similar way to a supercharger drive as above)

l0rd

posted on 5/11/08 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Leds and all sounds ok. Fitting anothe alternator is a good idea< Won't he need a bigger battery though to hold the extra charge?
Jason Fletcher

posted on 5/11/08 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
For those with the sensible replies, yes I have checked things are working ok and they are and I have of course got an electric water pump sapping too but no heater.

And for those with very funny but equally unhelpfull comments. I had thought of fitting a towbar and towing one of these.

[Edited on 5/11/08 by Jason Fletcher]

l0rd

posted on 5/11/08 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Too much effort fitting a two bar for that.
l0rd

posted on 5/11/08 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
What about solar panels?
Guinness

posted on 5/11/08 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
What about solar panels?

What, in front of the headlights?

Nice idea.

Mike

jimgiblett

posted on 5/11/08 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Fletcher
Although the generator is charging, if I drive at night with the lights, wipers, heated screen ....

You are making a big demand on a bike generator.

Heated Screen will be sapping the power 13-14amps. Do you need it on all the time or just on start up to clear.

Other than this I guess all the other bits are essential. You may be able to trim a bit here and there but it will be minor.

You could fit a larger battery or just plug in charger each night.

- Jim

Jason Fletcher

posted on 5/11/08 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
I thought Locost members were inteligent.. but with more and more rediculus suggestions I am starting to wonder...... It is obvious to anyone with half a brain cell that a wind turbine strapped to the rollbar is the way to go.

Jason Fletcher

posted on 5/11/08 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimgiblett
quote:
Although the generator is charging, if I drive at night with the lights, wipers, heated screen ....

Heated Screen will be sapping the power 13-14amps. Do you need it on all the time or just on start up to clear.

Other than this I guess all the other bits are essential. You may be able to trim a bit here and there but it will be minor.

- Jim

Hi Jim

I did not know the screen took that sort of power. I guess I'll have to be carefull how much I use it. I would like to know what the car is drawing when all the things are running but my meter only goes to 10 amps so its dificult to measure properly.

Thanks
J

BenB

posted on 5/11/08 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
You can work it out if your multimeter has a volt setting by measuring the voltage drop across the main +ve supply cable. Then (if you've worked out the resistance of the main supply cable) you can use I=V/R.

To work out the resistance of the main supply cable apply a measurable amount of load on the cable (eg without the engine running switch on the headlights) to get about 10A (the more the merrier- check with your DVM). Then take the ampeter out of the circuit and measure the voltage drops across the cable (ie put the DVM on volts, attach one lead to one end of the supply cable and one on the other).

Easy

(even easier = buy a 30A ampeter )

jimgiblett

posted on 5/11/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jimgiblett
quote:

- Jim

Hi Jim

I did not know the screen took that sort of power. I guess I'll have to be carefull how much I use it. I would like to know what the car is drawing when all the things are running but my meter only goes to 10 amps so its dificult to measure properly.

Thanks
J

Thats what my friend's Fury screen with single filament takes. A Caterham screen may be slightly smaller but there isnt going to be much in it.

I think you can get twin filament ones which heat either driver or passenger sides or both which allows you to halve the current pull. Try Ricky Evans Motorsport who makes heated screens.

- Jim

Ivan

posted on 5/11/08 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

saved the day again...

I likwe your idea Mr W.

And if you feed current through them & reverse polarity you might just have a reverse gear.

l0rd

posted on 5/11/08 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Not exactly perfect for reverse gear.

You could make a braket and fit a starter motor. I am sure you could use some sort of switch to regulate the power to turn it ?

02GF74

posted on 6/11/08 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
electric water pump too .... no wonder the poor generator is strugling.

You've followed the linky to the uprated gen? From what I could tell. That is gonna set you back over $ 300 so although it will allow you to go a bit further, it won't solve your problem.

[Edited on 6/11/08 by 02GF74]

Jason Fletcher

posted on 6/11/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
yes, had a look at that upgrade and I think it might be the way to go. All I have to do now is try and justifie another 200 quid on this locost build of mine.
lococost

posted on 8/11/08 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
install a good connector and charge the battery overnight?
Koss

posted on 9/11/08 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if you have seen these.

Clicky

Another way is to buy the pulley as used on the Rotrex super charger kits and use a car alternator.

On my race engine I am removing the flywheel all together, having a 1/2" alloy plate machined with an oil seal in the middle. A 70a car alternator bolts to the plate and will be driven from a machined multi v belt pulley with machined slots for the cps.
There is quite a lot of room behind the cylinders on the sprocket side of the engine.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.