Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: digidash says oil
sambo83

posted on 22/3/09 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
digidash says oil

Hi gents, just been on a quick blast round the block and as I was pulling back into my sisters garage I noticed for the first time that where the mph usually is on my digidash it said oil, I checked that theres no leaks so just wondered if this is normal as I used to have a bike that said oil on the digital readout when you first turned the ignition on, also would like some help on locating dipstick and if it's an accurate reading when fitted to car rather than bike and what oil to top up with? Engine is fireblade thanks v.much!
INDY BIRD

posted on 22/3/09 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
hi is this a digi dash 2 lite,

if so they do say oil before start up,

also is a warning lite how is the oil pressure ???? not so the much level warning on these

also check connections are ok

cheers

blakep82

posted on 22/3/09 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
i don't think bike have a dipstick, don't they have a little window on the side of the block that you look through?

on my mates suzuki bike, its on the right hand side (if you were sitting on the bike)

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

INDY BIRD

posted on 22/3/09 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
honda blackbird deff have a dip stick
goaty

posted on 22/3/09 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
as above, means low oil pressure.
Have you connected that sensor up??

oldtimer

posted on 22/3/09 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
'Help on locating dipstick' ........
gingerprince

posted on 22/3/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
It's oil pressure, not oil level. Boot the Digidash into settings mode and check what PSI the low-pressure setting is at, it may be configured too high.

(Get the manuals from here if you don't have them and/or don't know how to configure the Digidash).

MakeEverything

posted on 22/3/09 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
My CBR1000 "Tornado" or Sports Tourer had a dipstick. Some older bikes dont have either, if the dipstick has been snapped off the cap!! - Hopefully outside the engine!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

sambo83

posted on 22/3/09 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for help, will try and have a look and see what's what this week, any ideas as to what can cause a drop in pressure and also what should the pressure warning settings on digidash be for a fireblade- max&min? Thanks
Jon Ison

posted on 23/3/09 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
I found the original setting on the digidash to be something like 20+psi.

I'm guessing as you drove it into the garage you all but stalled the engine causing a sudden drop in pressure, I know I have done this from time to time bring a quick flash of "OIL" on the dash.

I set mine at 12psi lower limit, occasionally after coming off track (after a good hard session) and on initial settle at idle I would see the "OIL" but it would go off as quick as it came on.

Blade 893.

dean100yz

posted on 26/3/09 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
I found the original setting on the digidash to be something like 20+psi.

I'm guessing as you drove it into the garage you all but stalled the engine causing a sudden drop in pressure, I know I have done this from time to time bring a quick flash of "OIL" on the dash.

I set mine at 12psi lower limit, occasionally after coming off track (after a good hard session) and on initial settle at idle I would see the "OIL" but it would go off as quick as it came on.

Blade 893.

I learnt this is on mine too (918). Keep the oil to the max mark (dont overfill). I have a DD1 which had same problem. First was tickover I raised it to 1250/1300rpm and second was settings on DD1. Mines also at 12. managed to get it flicker once or twice but again only after a real hard drive. Tends to sit at 14-17 once hot at tickover now

sambo83

posted on 29/3/09 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
went for a drive today and no oil warnings coming up, however still don't know how to check my oil level or how to fill it up???????????????? Am i being stupid or what??? I can see the oil filter and the only screw I can find is on the clutch but I take it thats for clutch fluid??? can anyone help cheers-fireblade 919
Guinness

posted on 29/3/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'd buy a Haynes manual for the Fireblade if I was you!

Basically there should be a sight glass somewhere on the side of the engine. So this will now either be on the front of the engine (easy to find), or at the back (hard to find). It will be low down (about the level of the sump) and about the size of a 10 pence piece. In the window you should be able to see oil.

Topping it up should be a case of un-screwing a plastic filler cap, about 1" in diameter, and topping up a bit at a time until you get the right level in the sight glass.

On my zed the sight glass is on the rear of the engine, meaning it points down the transmission tunnel. I have to check it with a torch and the rear view mirror. Inside the window is a metal bar with two notches cut out in it, max and min. I try to keep mine just over the max level.

HTH

Mike

I think this is a 919 engine. Sight glass looks to be below the clutch cover. Oil filler looks to be above the clutch cover, to the side of the clutch lever.

(I don't have a blade, but that would be my best guess).

gingerprince

posted on 30/3/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
The screw on the clutch cover IS where you top up the oil. Bike engines use the same oil for the engine and the clutch. This is why you must not use car oil in a bike, since it's "slippier" and causes clutch slip.

If your blade is an early one, then the dipstick will be on this cap. Unscrew it and see. If not, then there will be a window near the bottom of the clutch cover.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.