Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC windscreens
Mellow Matt

posted on 25/3/09 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
BEC windscreens

I was just wondering, as most BECs just have a small aeroscreen, how easy is it to obtain & fit a larger screen? For those occassions you might be going a bit of a distance & don't fancy wearing a helmet. (I'm guessing you don't want to go far without a helmet with an aeroscreen?!)

Ta

omega0684

posted on 25/3/09 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
i did a 150 odd miles without my helmet on at an average speed of about 50-60 miles an hour, my ears were ringing for a bit but i love having the wind in my face!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mellow Matt

posted on 25/3/09 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Heheh, that's a bit reassuring then! Do the aeroscreens offer any protection really? I've not had any experience with them.
YQUSTA

posted on 25/3/09 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
It depends which kit you have/buy MK now do a screen and full weather gear.

the screen may fit other 7's.

Dangle_kt

posted on 25/3/09 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
you could easily fit a screen as per "the book", but most people dont simply due to weight.

a bec needs to be as light as possible or they may as well just be a CEC.

The body work is no different between a BEC and CEC on most kit manufactures, so you could fit what you wanted, most opt for the aero screen for the looks and the weight saving. I have heard differeing views on aeroscreens, some seem to be useless - others are very effective.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 25/3/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
My old Tiger 6 was more comfortable to drive wih an aeroscreen and wraparound sunglasses than it was with a windscreen!! The buffetting coming around the side of the screen was pretty bad. I fitted some clear Cobra style wind deflectors that helped a bit but still preferred the aeroscreen!!

wilkingj

posted on 25/3/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
I run a Viento with no screen at all. Be assured you need Ballistic grade safety glasses as a bare minimum.
A wasp or bee at 70Mph will take your eye out.
A stone will do the same, and damn well hurts if it gets you in the cheek / face.

I wear a full face bike helmet, and its worth it, even if its only a cheap one. After all its unlikely you will fall off your car like you can do on a bike.

A flyscreen, does deflect the airstream, and is really quite effective.

A full screen will protect you from the weather as well. But needs Wipers, Washers and a heater (to de-mist, or get a leccy heated screen from Cateringvan)
I really must fit mine... Been soaked badly several times.

I do like my Bike Helmet, it saves all those young ladies that smile at me from realising I'm an old fart about to collect my Pension!
It does my ebbing ego a power of good

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 25/3/09 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Flies and stones hit my helmet visor with quite a crack. I wouldn't want to drive without one at speeds over about 40. Around town, just a pair of tough sunglasses is fun.

I have an aeroscreen and it does raise the point at which the airflow strikes your head. Rocks can still hit you square in the face though.

BenB

posted on 25/3/09 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Windscreens protect you from wasps etc but they don't protect you from windchill. Unless it's seriously hot if I'm doing long distance drives at speed I often wear a crash helmet!!!
hobzy

posted on 25/3/09 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
I commute the 12 mile drive to work twice a week with an aeroscreen and dont wear the lid unless its raining or freezing. Wouldnt do it without my Oakleys on though, as I got hit by a stone on the cheekbone the other day and by god it hurt! I'm going to order some of those more goggle style ones everyone raves about off fleabay as I have discovered the exact speed at which my glasses start to peel off my face!

I find wearing the lid is fine but does detract from the whole experience of driving with no pillars etc, and also doesnt half make my exhaust boom for some reason. Also cuts down your peripheral vision somewhat.

My previous screen (in my avatar) was terrible and had a really bad side buffet. My new carbonmods (mmmmmmm:cool double bubble jobby is infinitely better

flak monkey

posted on 25/3/09 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
You'll slow it down if you put a full screen on, its like a big air brake, hence why you dont see that many BECs with them.

I find my aeroscreen bubbles are effective to about 40mph, above that it doesnt make much difference, having said that you still do see flies shoot over your head sometimes!

Whatever you do, if you dont have a screen wear safety type specs at least. Stones, bees, wasps, flies and grit all hurt (a lot!) even at relatively modest speeds. Personally I always wear a full face helment on any long run, this also lets me have music on or talk to my passenger through the intercom easier than shouting against a gale force wind!

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Hellfire

posted on 25/3/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah David's right. I remember watching an episode of Top Gear where James May takes the Veyron to it's maximum speed and the air brake is activated to slow it down.

I remember thinking at the time that the air brake looked similar to a seven style windscreen.

Stick with an aeroscreen......... The aerodynamics of a seven are bad enough without adding an air brake

Phil

Mellow Matt

posted on 25/3/09 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies guys, very helpful Looks like aeroscreens actually do have an effect, rather than just looking pretty!
lococost

posted on 26/3/09 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

My previous screen (in my avatar) was terrible and had a really bad side buffet. My new carbonmods (mmmmmmm:cool double bubble jobby is infinitely better

Was that a mac#1 screen? I'm surprised as most peoples on this forum seem to like them.

hobzy

posted on 26/3/09 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure. It was on the car when I bought it from Richard Kell on here. He was a bit taller than me TBF, but I found that I couldn't see through it and it was too high to see over and flat for me. It would literally suck the air from your mouth at any high speed.

I am only 5'8"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.