Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 problems
Razor

posted on 13/6/09 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
R1 problems

Hello all,

can any one help, i have two problems, the first is when i start my 1998 r1 engine up, the the rev clocks the needle swings to 8000 revs, then drops the every few seconds it swings back to the 8000 revs, what does this mean, ive had a look in my manual, but im abit on fused?

the second problem is, i filled my coolent up for the first time, and started it up, ran it for 10 mins, switched off, checked for leaks etc re toppped up the coolent. and started again, left it for a good 15 mins, but the fan wasnt kicking in. so i tested the fan switch in boiling water over a stove and it seems to work. but when the car is running it doesnt seem to work? it feels very hot round the raditor where it is? any suggestions?

nitram38

posted on 13/6/09 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Your rev indication is a fault code. Looking on the interweb, it is the exup valve. You probably removed it or was not supplied with one.
Options to fix is re-connecting the exup and hiding it or there is an electronic resistor solution. Do a search.
Your switch/fan comes in at 110 degrees so boiling water @ 100 degress won't make it work.
My R1 will not bring the fans on for a very long time and only in long standing traffic.

[Edited on 13/6/2009 by nitram38]

Steve G

posted on 13/6/09 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
As above - the fan shouldnt kick in till over 100 degrees C. Its a pressurised system so this means the boiling point of water is raised higher than 100degC.

I think from memory that the standard R1 temperature switch simply feeds a signal to the ECU, and the ECU controls the signal to the fan (or have you used a different temperature sender to the standard bike thermo unit??). The fan operates via a relay too on the standard bike electrics so thats an area to check if it still doesnt work after another go at getting the fan to kick in at the 110deg range

[Edited on 13/6/09 by Steve G]

Guinness

posted on 13/6/09 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
IMHO, it might be worth wiring in an over ride switch for the fan, so you can manually control it.

There have been a few times when I've been "pressing on" and have then come across a traffic jam / set of roadworks etc.

Suddenly sitting still in traffic, with no airflow through the rad isn't great.

The ability to just switch the fan on before the heat soak begins / temperature rises is pretty useful.

Mike

james h

posted on 13/6/09 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Hi there,

The error code you are getting is the fuel sender error code - either you don't have a fuel sender attached at all or its not working. The error code for the exup I believe is at 7500.

HTH

James

Davg

posted on 13/6/09 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Yup, confirm for your early set up the 8K code is the lack of fuel level sender signal. Easily sorted with a resistor between the ECU & clocks. (Green/yellow from ECU irc).
cheers D

Razor

posted on 13/6/09 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
thanks ppl, i think it would be safe to to say that i should hav a hard wire switch wired in for my fan so i can turn it on when a need to.

as for the error code, its my fuel sender or my exup? if it is my fuel sender, what resistor would i need? an if it is my exup what resistor would i need for that?

Rich

james h

posted on 26/6/09 at 01:24 AM Reply With Quote
I hope you have sorted this, but to clarify the error code is for an broken/non existant fuel sender. The error code for the exup is annoyingly close at 7500rpm.

Sorry I can't help for the resistors needed

James

lococost

posted on 26/6/09 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, extra fan switch can be usefull.

When I first tested my gsxr a couple of times, the fan didn't kick in either. Turned out there still was some air in the system, making the radswitch reading the wrong temperature, after a while the air got out and the problem solved itself!

[Edited on 26/6/09 by lococost]

nitram38

posted on 26/6/09 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I used the R1 engine's wiring to control my fan, so it is the ecu asking for the cooling fan and not a seperate rad mounted switch

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.