Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cyclists- Turbo Trainer wanted....!
foes

posted on 22/7/09 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Cyclists- Turbo Trainer wanted....!

OT but i assume this is the correct section...

Anyone got an old turbo trainer kicking about that they want to get rid of...? And maybe an old slick 26" tyre?
I fractured my spine :roll: in an mtb crash a month ago and the docs say i can't ride my bike for another 3 months (6 months before i can ride full on again!), so, i need to get some training in in the meantime and a turbo trainer would be ideal.

Don't want to spend a lot on one as i'll only be using it for the the next 3 or 4 months...

Anyone?

Cheers

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/7/09 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
hang on

Are you sure the doc meant not going on a bike at all rather than sitting on one and going nowhere? apart from not moving you are still technically cycling as normal...

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 22/7/09 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
seconded! LOL I think you've taken his recommendation too literally.

Craig

foes

posted on 22/7/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
hang on

Are you sure the doc meant not going on a bike at all rather than sitting on one and going nowhere? apart from not moving you are still technically cycling as normal...

No i think i'm ok, my spine is actually stronger than before due to the metal rods in there, they told me to take it really easy for 6 weeks, which will be up in a week and half or so.

The actual position of sitting on the bike is no worse than the stretches the physio has given me to do and the time limits of 3 and 6 months before riding full on again are more to do with the likelihood of crashing in a similar way again

I need to do something, 2 weeks of laying flat on your back doesn't do much for your fitness levels and strength...

[Edited on 22/7/09 by foes]

nick205

posted on 22/7/09 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Turbo training is much safer and less arduous on the body than real cycling. Far less chance of falling off (although I have seen soemone fall off a bike in the gym before). No vibration and shock from the pi55 poor road surfaces (or off road). and much less strain on the upper body as your not controlling the bike in cornering either.

I'd still be taking it very easy though - the risk of further or permanent damage has to be a concern.

Lars

posted on 22/7/09 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
HI

I am away from home at the moment, but believe I still have one lying about in the garage (never actually used it, bought about 3 years ago)
I can have a look friday, you would just have to cover postage from oxford.

If its any use let me know and I can give you some more details friday.

foes

posted on 22/7/09 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lars
HI

I am away from home at the moment, but believe I still have one lying about in the garage (never actually used it, bought about 3 years ago)
I can have a look friday, you would just have to cover postage from oxford.

If its any use let me know and I can give you some more details friday.

Awesome, cheers, let me know if you can find it or not...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.