Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Quaife reverse box - clattery
Blackbird Rush

posted on 5/4/10 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Quaife reverse box - clattery

Ran the rush up today with the rear up on axle stands after some nasty noises were heard when doing a test run the other day....

Well it appears to be coming from the reverse box (quaife) under load (goes away when you dip the clutch) going forward there is a whine and going backwards its really clattery.

Is it shagged? any idea how much quaife charge for a rebuild?

The box was not new when i got it about 6 years ago and this is the first time i've run it up (i.e. driven it).

Any ideas?

blakep82

posted on 5/4/10 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
correct grade oil in it?
the only BEC i've driven was a legends car, which was a little clattery, and had a reverse box. so don't know if they're all like that...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

corrado vr6

posted on 5/4/10 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
My quaife box which is brand new isn't exactly smooth, i think its to do with the cutting of the teeth on the cogs which gives the clattery noise although mines fine ie smooth when going forward, might be worth checking the oil level as they do apparently spit out a bit of oil, i have a catch tank setup allowing it to spit oil out and drain back in when it can HTH Greg

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

Wheels244

posted on 6/4/10 at 05:20 AM Reply With Quote
Same as Greg - mine was new, it's fine going foward, bit noisy in reverse. I've got a catch tank for mine too, but the oil has never made it as far as the tank.

As well as the oil, check for play in the bearings on the input\output drive flanges. Looking at the schematic, it doesn't look like a hard job to change them if need be.

Rob

rf900rush

posted on 6/4/10 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
I found mine very clattery on stands. Try loading the transmission a bit with the breaks.
Not to long to cook them.

There is alot o slack in the reverse box.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gergely

posted on 6/4/10 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Ours was new and very noisy. reverse is not a problem, you only use it for a couple of meters, but forward when on and off the power or constant speed it drove us mad... never new if it was fallingf apart, loose bolts, no oil anymore in it, a constant worry. So we changed it for the MNR box. Test drive will be this weekend but I have high hopes...

Anyway, there might not be anything wrong with your box, just get used to the sound it makes...

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 6/4/10 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gergely
Ours was new and very noisy. reverse is not a problem, you only use it for a couple of meters, but forward when on and off the power or constant speed it drove us mad... never new if it was fallingf apart, loose bolts, no oil anymore in it, a constant worry. So we changed it for the MNR box. Test drive will be this weekend but I have high hopes...

Anyway, there might not be anything wrong with your box, just get used to the sound it makes...

Very very interested in how that goes!

Blackbird Rush

posted on 6/4/10 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies, i'll see how it goes then.

An MNR one maybe the way forward then.

I have a catch tank for when it spit out the oil, but to be on the safe side i'll check the oil level anyway.

Ash.

watsonpj

posted on 6/4/10 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
You definately need to load it to properly assess but mine is noisy in reverse. Forward when accelerating or deceling its fine but when running at a constant speed can be a bit clattery. This was true from day 1 and has had new bearings fitted and is still the same now.

hope this helps

Pete

Gergely

posted on 17/4/10 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I had the first drive out in the car with the MNR reverse fitted. The difference compared to the Quaife is significant. It doesn't clatter that much. There is still a tiny bit of noise coming from the reverse when you are on constant speed, but it's nowhere near as annoying as the Quaife was. And, since it has no oil inside, it doesn't worry me.
The engagement of forward or reverse is easier and smoother, too. So I suggest to go for the MNR one...
Gergely

Our build pictures

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.