Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sticky Clutch - Plus Prop Shaft Manufacturers
Scott W

posted on 26/4/10 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Sticky Clutch - Plus Prop Shaft Manufacturers

Hi,

I'm a bit of a mechanical numpty myself but my wife is relatively comfortable with getting her hands dirty and failing that we can call upon her brother who is a car mechanic.

However, we did a trackday in November and at the very end of the day I noticed the clutch was sticking at the biting point. Now we've not had a chance to do anything with the car since then, but we took it out again a few weeks back and we've still got the sticky clutch pedal. What is the normal course of action for resolving this?

Have other people suffered it on a 919 Blade engine before?

Next question, the car currently has one of the original reverse boxes (Eurotech FR2000) on it which we're looking to do away with. As we will not be fitting a replacement, does anybody know/could they recommend someone who can make me some replacement prop shafts in and around the Berkshire area? I'd prefer to drive the car to them to discuss everything and hence wanting to have the company local to me.

Oh whilst I'm at it (sorry!), can anybody recommend an oil cooler (if people use them) for this engine as we were getting oil temps on track around the 120 degree mark and this was on a trackday where the air temp was 6 degrees or so. We're planning on doing the same track in June/July where hopefully it will be a lot warmer and we want to be able to do more than 2-3 laps on track before we have to come in and let it all cool down again.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you guys can offer!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 26/4/10 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Contact andy bates he is the master of all things bec

Scott W

posted on 26/4/10 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply, he's on the hitlist of people to call already!
MakeEverything

posted on 26/4/10 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
Contact andy bates he is the master

Master bates then....!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 26/4/10 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
Contact andy bates he is the master

Master bates then....!!

oh no Ive fallen into that one......Sorry andy

phelpsa

posted on 26/4/10 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Is your 'Locoblade' a stuart taylor by any chance? If so, get on the line to Steve at Aries Motosport, he'll be able to have bailey morris build up a prop to the proper spec and supply a centre bearing support

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Scott W

posted on 26/4/10 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah it is and I spoke to Aries about it last year but I just wondered how their costs compared to others.
cosmick

posted on 26/4/10 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
you may find that the clutch problem is due to the lever ratio being incorrect. many kit cars suffer from this problem where the clutch is too fierce. check out the lever travel and the bite point.if the bite point is very small ie no drive then suddenly drive, then look into reducing the distance between the pivot and fulcrum. My Megabusa was terrible when i got it but now i have changed the lever ratio and i can pull away on tickover without stalling. It doesn't matter whether it is a hydraulic clutch or cable, the same rules apply. if you think of the small distance that a clutch lever travels on the bike handlebars and how close the pivot and fulcrum is. change this and you will have a beautifully smooth clutch.

cosmick

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.