Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving Advice wanted:- Should I be driving 234 miles in this weather in two days time???
Steve Hignett

posted on 20/12/10 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Driving Advice wanted:- Should I be driving 234 miles in this weather in two days time???

Hi All,

A bit of advice needed please!

I have a family (Wife, 9month old boy and myself) trip booked on Wednesday.

We are intending to go from Middlewich, Cheshire (Junction 18 of the M6) to Edinburgh.

It's jsomething like 142 miles on the M6 then 48 miles on a Aroad/Motorway road, then 36 miles on a A road, and then obvioulsy a couple miles either side to get to and from...

We decided to spend Xmas in edinburgh to get away from the family and to have a nice time just the three of us together.

The hotel is already paid for with no chance of refund.

SO:- Is it a stupid idea to be taking a 9 month old baby on a road trip like this in this weather?

Cheers for all opinions...

Stege

marcjagman

posted on 20/12/10 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
I would say that it depends on the weather at the time. Check what it's like in Edinburgh before you set of. It's going to be a long trip regardless because of the volume of traffic. Try an alternative. The road you take at Scotch Corner (A38 or A66 can't remember) is very exposed and is often closed when it snows.
femster87

posted on 20/12/10 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
My personal opinion is that its quite dangerous for the baby. but see what the weather is doing before you set off.
franky

posted on 20/12/10 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Not at all, I've been working all over the country where the snow is bad and where it isn't.

Part of the problem is the media over reacting and over hyping.

Humbug

posted on 20/12/10 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
No - 233 miles should be your limit
pdm

posted on 20/12/10 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt want to get stuck in traffic on motorway with a 9 month old - I don't think it's dangerous to drive it but there seems to be quite a few times people have had to abandon cars recently.
tegwin

posted on 20/12/10 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Just make sure you are properly prepared with enough warm clothes, perhaps a little camping stove for making warm drinks etc, a shovel etc.... so if you do get stuck you can look after yourself and the sprog!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 20/12/10 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
What about the train?
jabbahutt

posted on 20/12/10 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
If it was adults only travelling then I'd be happer to give it a go. Having a little one whose just turned 1 I'd be more concerned mainly due to the rule of SOD. No matter how prepared you are you need to factor in the things you have no control over and then think how you'd manage with a 9 month old.

Please don't think I'm being negative, just think through a few situations that might happen like a break down and if you have a good contingency each one go for it. Main thin is for your wife to be as happy to travel as you are as the last thing you want is a festive barney in the car.

Whatever you decide have a good Christmas.

mcerd1

posted on 20/12/10 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
the motorways will be your biggest problem, edinburgh isn't that bad unless your going down the wee roads they don't bother to clear (as Mango...)

-

norm007

posted on 20/12/10 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
I suppose a couple of considerations.
What car are going in???
Is it a 4x4???
How good/confident are you in snow???
And last but not least, if its something you have had planned/been looking forward to for a while, then I would say go for it, I would!!!

Something about this, so very wrong.....I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn`t like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cliftyhanger

posted on 20/12/10 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
It may, just may, be worth beg/borrow/steal a set of snowchains, that way you won't be needing them (see earlier reference to the rules of SOD)
And yes, make sure you have stuff in the car, really it is just common sense, but plenty of blankets etc just in case, as well as a flask or two.
I recently did a jaunt with a couple of other cars around Scotland. One of the other chaps is unwell, and has pressure on his back when sitting, so finds a hot water bottle useful. Every time we stopped, the places had no problem filling it with boiling water when asked, so that is an idea too.
But I guess the obvious thing is to keep an eye on the forecast, if it looks liek it will be bad, think extra carefully, but it is your (or SWMBO's) decision.

russbost

posted on 20/12/10 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
If car is rear wheel drive & front engine I would forget it - far too easy to finish up stuck!

Other than that I'd say as long as you're well prepared, full tank of fuel & food/drinks/blankets/shovel etc with you, mobile phones fully charged etc you should be fine

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Steve Hignett

posted on 20/12/10 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Golf V6 4Motion

Scootz has kindly offered to give me a shout via U2U weather wise from the Edinburgh side closer to the time, hopefully tomorrow.

I'm aware of stuff I'd have to pack should I get stuck. We have 4 or 5 flasks that can keep water hot for 24 hrs, and a dozen fleece blankets etc, so with a full tank of fuel I should be able to keep us all warm. The only thing the baby needs to get through a day is two parents to shower him with attention...

I feel relatively confident about it to be honest, but pride always comes before a fall...

Where can I get snow chains from? I honestly only thought they were available in Norway, which to be honest is quite far from here

T66

posted on 20/12/10 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
I am in Morpeth - Northumberland.

Yesterday afternoon we had 8" of snow in about 3-4 hours , the town centre had a major powercut taking out all the traffic lights. cars trying to avoid Morpeth town centre continued north on the A1 and used the north slip road, this soon gridlocked and caused standing traffic on the A1 - Whiteout conditions with stranded/stuck cars everywhere.

I drive a Lada Niva (yes Lada) which copes well with the snow, only because of this have I managed to recover the wifes Focus back home, and remain mobile.

This morning the A1 was very slow moving north & south. I have used the minor backroads to get the wife to work , taking me approximately an hour to do 17 miles.

I dragged a BMW out of a ditch yesterday afternoon on a treated road, then last night picked up a family wearing crap clothing pushing a buggy and carrying another child on a rural back road, walking home having abandoned their car in the town centre.

The current forecast is very sketchy, I would assume this chaos will continue, so unless you drive a Lada or a Unimog , I wouldnt look to travel !

If the forecast is giving settled weather, consider that anywhere on your route this can changed rapidly, leaving you stuck with your family somewhere unpleasant.

Once you leave your home patch, you have no local road knowledge and are committed to major routes, which quickly come to a stop.

[Edited on 20/12/10 by T66]

blakep82

posted on 20/12/10 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
M6, M74, M8 would be my advice. motorways should be fine, A roads haven't been up here. no way of saying what the weather will be like then, might be perfectly clear. i'm driving down to nottingham on xmas eve so hope thats the case

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

GMPMotorsport

posted on 20/12/10 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
As all previously said reaaly, make sure your car is in tip top condition, take plenty of provisions- warm clothes food shovel etc. Allow loads of time for your journey, keep to main roads, make sure you have a fully charged mobile phone have a great time

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 20/12/10 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett

Where can I get snow chains from? I honestly only thought they were available in Norway, which to be honest is quite far from here

I doubt you will be able to buy them at the moment. usually available all over the place, we get ours in the supermarket in france when we need to change size, usually about £25, but they are only for emergency use. plus you need to protect alloys (bit of carpet or suchlike cut to a disc?
Anyway, phone up any friends who go skiing and take their cars. Remebre chains are size specific, so don't get caught out. My missus bought out some snowchains so we could get about a couple of weeks ago, I froze my fingers, and failed to get them on as they seemed too tight. Yep, they were for the old car defrost fingers, correct size and fitted in 5 mins

Irony

posted on 20/12/10 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
You probably wouldn't get anywhere on snow chains anyway. You would be constantly taking them on and off. They just don't work unless you have complete coverage of snow.

I live in Lincolnshire and we have had more snow (now mostly gone) than I have ever seen in Lincoln. Literally 2ft worth. I drive a Mk 4 Golf GT TDI with barely legal front tyres (now changed) and I have not been stuck at all. Driving style is the most important. Go slow, scan the road ahead, some corners on back roads 20mph is to fast. There is nothing more cheering than tootling past some people stuck at the edge of the road in their 4x4 in a Golf GTI.

If I was you I would leave plenty of time for the journey, take some warm cloths and snacks. Possibly a shovel. Make sure you don't let your car get below half a tank of fuel. However it has been worked out that my golf can be left at idle for 7days on a full tank without running out of fuel. Probably less with the heaters going.

mookaloid

posted on 20/12/10 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
another vote for the train here

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

scootz

posted on 20/12/10 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
We got a dumping of the white stuff again yesterday Steve.

Not as bad as last time, but probably still 8cm or so. Hard to say if it's going to last... nice bright sunshine out there, but still pretty damn cold!

As others have said, the biggest concern is probably the main roads up... it just takes a couple of wagons to get stuck and no-ones going anywhere for a while!

I'll give you an update later tonight and tomorrow morning!

It's Evolution Baby!

RazMan

posted on 20/12/10 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Possibly a better solution than chains are snow socks
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fix-Go-Tex-Snow-Socks/dp/B004EF3DG0/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1292844861&sr=1-2

As already said, if your car is rear wheel drive then forget it.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 20/12/10 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
M6, M74, M8 would be my advice. motorways should be fine,

Really?? I was stuck for FOUR AND A HALF HOURS on the M1 on Saturday.

It was an obstacle course as 3 lanes filtered down into one to get round stuck lorries.

There is predicted more snow later on (I should have heeded the warning on Sat) so difficult to advise but look into alternatives - I am planning to drive to Birmingham and haven't got round to getting MOT for my Land Rover but there still is time ......

I still plan to attempt it but will decide on the actual day.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 20/12/10 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marcjagman
I would say that it depends on the weather at the time. Check what it's like in Edinburgh before you set of. It's going to be a long trip regardless because of the volume of traffic. Try an alternative. The road you take at Scotch Corner (A38 or A66 can't remember) is very exposed and is often closed when it snows.

its cumbria that is the problem

Steve Hignett

posted on 20/12/10 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Right, just changed my "slicks" for four brand new Goodyears and even in the ice here it feels a lot better (Yeah, I know that's a pretty obvious statement as I was on the TWI's on goodyear eagles).

Cheers Scootz for the update.

I'm also going to pack what I'd consider essential for camping out in the car for a couple of nights with a baby, in case the worst does happen.

I'm keen on going if I was being totally honest, but I don't want to be a risk taker where the baby is concerned.

The ironic thing is, the clothes, blankets and food are stuff we are actually packing because of where we're going and stuff we'll be doing there! So not actually packing stuff that's not needed (albeit, maybe taking 10 fleece blankets instead of 2!)

Thanks for the advice so far - please keep it coming!

At the end of the day, the decision to go will be based on the weather on Wed morning. We'll be setting off early and we're in no rush etc. Will have TomTom satnav that I have quite a bit of faith in, so if I need to get odd the motorways etc, then that should allow me to continue without the local knowledge as pointed out above.

Cheers,
Steve

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.