Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tin top car polishing/waxing/ cleaning
focijohn

posted on 25/3/11 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
tin top car polishing/waxing/ cleaning

Hello all,
As the summers comming i think its time that my dads car and mums got a bit of a spruse up.
I've got the basics sorted i.e. throwing soap on and rinsing.
What combination of waxes and or polishes do you guys recomend, use, sell? The ranges out there completely bamboozle me Ultra deep shine, super resin polish, extra gloss protection, aqua wax etc etc. I used some of the auto glym super resin polish today and it seemed to do a good job but seems a bit pricey or is this about right?
My local halfrauds have a 2 for 3 (cheapest free) on autoglym which is why im asking now

Also WHAT SHIFTS TAR SPOTS and heavy impact bug death??

Cheers

John

[Edited on 25/3/11 by focijohn]

Steve Hignett

posted on 25/3/11 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Let me get this right...

Not only you are talking about cleaning a car (shudder..) But it's not even your car???

Madness!!!

Edited for gramma

[Edited on 25/3/11 by Steve Hignett]

focijohn

posted on 25/3/11 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sorry to inform you, but yup, thats correct.

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

macc man

posted on 25/3/11 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Remove tar and bugs with white spirit. I use resin polish as its far quicker and leaves less residue than wax. Depends on how much time you have got or not got.

focijohn

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Well as Mr Hignett has sumed up car washing in a response im still chuckleing about, I imagine i'll get half way through and be bored so I won't be going mad. Just would like to make them look a bit nicer and get rid of the tar and bugs.

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

tegwin

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Oddly enough, I decided my car needed a wash today... for the first time in about 8 months I had the time to do a proper job...

I used Maguires shampoo in a bucket of warm water.... Applied with a proper washing mop (the weird multi fingererd things...not a sponge)... Leave it a few mins and then hose off...

The car should now be grease and grit free more or less.... You need to go round and remove the tar... on my red car it was a bastard! There are various specific tar removers out there take your pick of them... the best tool I find is a fingernail...

Once the car is tar free you could go one step further and get a clay-bar and lubricant to remove any fine residuals left on the surface... This took me nearly 2 hours to do on the polo...

Then hose the car down again....

Out with the chamois and dry the car really really really well.. any beads of water caught in the seals etc will be a pain when you come to polish..

If there are any scratches/hazing then use maguires paint restoration...

Then I would highly recomend the maguires top coat wax/polish... its not cheap but you put it on with an applicator pad..leave it 10 mins and then get your elbow grease out and give it a good polish with a polishing rag...

Job done :-)

As a side note, I last used this wax on the car in July last year.... I recon it did a fantastic job of preventing a big buildup of crap on the paint surface making re-doing it much easier... BUT... be warned, if you dont clean the car properly you will end up sealing shite under the wax...which gets annoying the next time you come to polish the car

[Edited on 25/3/11 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

focijohn

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Duncan.............you saw the bit where i said mum n dads cars??? Is the maguires stuff any good? I saw it in Halfrauds and read it as megasquirt.
Hows uni going?

Is that multifingered "sponge" one you put your hand in and bits hang down like dreadlocks?

[Edited on 25/3/11 by focijohn]

Krismc

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Well this is how clean my car gets...........

....AKA very.

[Edited on 25/3/11 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Gordy

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krismc
Well this is how clean my car gets...........

....AKA very.

Not that impressive, considering it's brand new

Krismc

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
its 13months old and all my cars get this loving attention....

5 years old yesteday ......

3 years old in this pic

First audi 2 years old

second Audi 4 years old

3-4 years old in the pic

at least 10 years old here

Ive got a shiney shiney fetish.

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Krismc

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
If i was you for basics id use a Super resin polish, followed by extra gloss protection, ignore most of the shite in halfords lots of products that look good but dont last, add some decent wax and you will have a shiney car that lasts ages

Autoglym is good price/quality trade off,

Other Peoples cars...
I use Autoglym SRP and EGP on my dads car, and meguirs 3 step system if the car looks a little swirly, but dont use the EGP until you happy with finish as it seals in pretty much everything.

My cars....

Rinse
Snowfoam
Rinse
Wash ( 2 buckets and lambs wool mit)
Clay
wash/rinse
Polish
Then finish with Colinite Wax or dodo juice rainforest rub

got about 400 tubs, tubes bottles of stuff if you need to try any let me know and ill send a sample

hicost blade

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I went a bit mad last year and bought all these when they were all 3 for 2

Combined they work very well, I'm very happy with the results on paint and GRP although I only do the whole process when selling a car

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_253057_langId_-1_categoryId_165527

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_199031_langId_-1_categoryId_165527

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_199087_langId_-1_categoryId_165527

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_200371_langId_-1_categoryId_165527

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_201873_langId_-1_categoryId_165527

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_201585_langId_-1_categoryId_165609

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_199095_langId_-1_categoryId_165609

Gordy

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Out of all the products i've tried , Autoglym Hi Def wax has been the best, and shine lasts for ages.
Guinness

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Drive to garage.
Buy a token for £1.50 (half price mid week!) and a copy of autotrader.
Take aerial off.
Drive over to machine.
Put token in.
Sit in car reading Autotrader.
Drive out other end.
Put aerial back on a couple of days later.

Never tried this method in the Indy though!

chrisxr2

posted on 25/3/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
carwash

Carwash is no good for your paint at all, i use autogly or meguiars (Spelling)

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

focijohn

posted on 25/3/11 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
cheers all. will try some autoglym tak first and see how we get on.

Cheers for all your answers

John

tegwin

posted on 27/3/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair I have never had good results with auto-glym... atleast with the maguires stuff you can see it going on and instantly see it doing something useful....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.