Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tachometres, speedos etc...
D4ENX

posted on 13/12/15 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Tachometres, speedos etc...

Well after I fitted my omex ecu to my zetec turbo in my focus I noticed my Rev counter isn't working now and unsure if I can use the Tacho wire from the o ex so I'm looking at making a custom dash which will include a speedo, Rev counter, fuel level and a few led warning lights, I have a few questions though.

Can anyone recommend an accurate tachometre/Rev counter, preferably a certain brand that will have a matching speedo available?

What would I do about my mileage counter when it comes to mot or insurance purposes? I know the mot slip will state the engine mileage and the insurance company's will want to know my mileage?

Any other info much appreciated. Regards, Dean.

JacksAvon

posted on 13/12/15 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Racetech make quality guages
02GF74

posted on 13/12/15 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Yep racetech. Speedo uses pulses and is programmable. If you want to have same mileage, just connect the wire to a pulse generator, in its crudest form a battery, slotted disc in a drill press and a wire, program speedo for max distance per pulse and let it run until correct reading is reached. I dont recall if there was a way to program the mileage.

D4ENX

posted on 13/12/15 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, seeing as I've got to replace everything if doing a custom dash etc.. Would a digital dash be a better option as matching race tech gauges are adding up to be 500+
Anyone with any experience with digital dashes?

Thanks.

jeffw

posted on 14/12/15 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
I think you need to tell people this is in a Focus and not a Seven/Kitcar. at least it appears to be from the pictures you had on the other thread.

Ivan

posted on 14/12/15 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
My tacho wouldn't work after fitting an ECU - a resistor in the line sorted that out - don't ask me which line. Ddo a Google search but only cost me pennies.
BenB

posted on 14/12/15 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Please be aware there are two different styles of racetech gauges. Some of the "racetech" dials have speedo and tachos branded "AST" and they're a PITA to calibrate (at least the speedo is). Its possible to calibrate it but only a small amount- you really need 833hz at 100mph which in my case rewired a custom laser cut trigger wheel.
russbost

posted on 14/12/15 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
I would suggest take a look at the Acewell 7659

Link

It does everything you need & if you are buying from us direct 07905 879407 then with LCB discount you'll get change from £200 including P & P (Just!)

It has all the features you mention, accurate to within 1%, super reliable (our return rate is tenths of a %!), plus we can offer full after sales service should you ever have the misfortune of breaking/damaging/losing any part

Should you be likely to do many track days with the car & a laptimer would be useful, then I would suggest the 7859, it has the same features but you can add a remote (additional £19.99) which enables the lap timer feature, just give us a ring if you want any advice

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
big_wasa

posted on 14/12/15 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
My tacho wouldn't work after fitting an ECU - a resistor in the line sorted that out - don't ask me which line. Ddo a Google search but only cost me pennies.

Post 1999 Ford Focus dash gets most of its information via canbus so won't work with most after market ecu's.

alfas

posted on 14/12/15 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
meanwhile i´m using analogue GPS Speedometers only.

no magnets, no seedo-cable, easy installtion

http://www.speedhut.com/gauges/GPS-speedometers. with them you can choose size, design, miles or km/h anything. you can even tell them to remove the GPS printing on the dial...so it looks more "analogue"

here another one, with less options, but also much cheaper

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Universal-car-motorcycle-85mm-GPS-Speedometer-0-200km-h-with-mating-antenna/32425391754.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.1.QBrE Hm&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_6_79_2_78_77_82_80_62,searchweb201644_0,searchweb201560_3

russbost

posted on 14/12/15 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Just for info, a GPS speedo on its own isn't legal in the Uk, it obviously won't work when going thro' tunnels etc. we do sell a few versions of the GPS units a lot cheaper than speedhut. The "cheap" one pictured looks very like a marine unit we sell (therefore fully waterproof) except it's actually nowhere near as cheap as it looks as that is a FoB price for 100 units or more, you'd still have to pay import duty & Vat as well as the shipping, we have a digital GPS unit at a similar price Link to Gps speedo , but that one isn't waterproof - obviously fine inside a tintop

The speedhut ones may be customizeable, but are very expensive (& also not in the UK)

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 14/12/15 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Etb gauges are good.
alfas

posted on 14/12/15 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
neither here are GPS speedos legal....but who can control it?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.