Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wanted single phase lathe
mazie

posted on 8/8/24 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Wanted single phase lathe

Looking for working lathe, not something that needs a crane to which into a van but hobbyist. With tools ideal but not mandatory.

I'm Coventry based but course will travel!

Russ

designer

posted on 9/8/24 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
A good Myford is the one to go for. Plenty on Marketplace.

Don't buy too cheap!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/781042447310602/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A2 d75a716-105f-411c-beeb-4bcbeff3637b

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jps

posted on 9/8/24 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Worth looking at model engineering pages/groups/etc - as they do come up there. Prices seem to vary quite a bit - Myfords seem to range for £500-£2000.

I thought about getting one and was surprised how much work there could be to get it to the point where it actually worked accurately. Have ended up joining my local model engineering society who have a workshop that members can use - which includes a lathe and a mill.

Theshed

posted on 9/8/24 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
I would not be wedded to single phase. a 3 phase motor is so much smoother you can see the difference in the surface finish. You can run most 3 phase machines off an inverter with the benefit of variable speed.

I am not convinced by Myford lathes. They are very lightweight. They have small capacity and a wear prone flatbed. If you want to make models or small buses well perhaps. Personally I would go larger if you have the space. After that condition and tooling are far more important than the make.

I would look at this sort of thing if you have the space

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/326223413468?itmmeta=01J4W321YRYDEV40RNMRAM60EJ&hash=item4bf46e40dc:g:l5MAAOSwwQBmsJuh&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4BermLM iRPMT7wT2pYuxHXF8JFON5fnzhY%2B%2F67kyxLDgILiWGcfgyCXlbpk6%2FNGvBzzbj2gQXHnv1gnWr8aCVsWYHRHli08EdjKOohgtgtnoh1b72J0h8Ld5PnrAn0gTIkEgGMdZ0OckvOaqDCfOBNN gKlI85YEwBJ0gwro9cZ5K0oCVJTnMoS2ng1H%2BiDJLWitdxQDld9G11xcwO5Z8TuDTSq5iUD%2BEaI7plCWKFZasM8FILoBCgX6A8JG4OMfBUjO%2FpOADTcpC4wYaP6k%2B6YkufGLGegnFqGESI KCJOUtq%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR7ifiIOnZA

Bluemoon

posted on 10/8/24 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
A lot depends on budget. You could look at drummond (look up the face book group its quite active) I have a type B quite capable but rather old school and light weight. Slow and better with old school HSS tools. The drumonds are predecessors to the (over priced?) Myfords.

The Harrison or simular as abovr would potentially be a better machine but moving one is not easy. Ones of that size can be good value, and do heavy work.

Do some research if you can.

Lots of information on lathes.co.uk for older lathes.

Could consider a minlathe but these are not without problems.

[Edited on 10/8/24 by Bluemoon]

[Edited on 10/8/24 by Bluemoon]

mazie

posted on 11/8/24 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments and tips.
I've had a bid on a Hardison but lost out bit a smidge. It was local which was a shame.

Logistics are a major factor to what I go for. If it's local'ish I can hire muuscle and van, getting to the workshop is another problem to solve.

I'm mainly looking to turn small prices of steel /alloy , plastic etc so nothing heavy going. Eventually I do plan to start a model engineering project.

Point taken on 3-phase and not to exclude.

I don't budgeted for around the £500-600 mark so know my choices will be limited

David Jenkins

posted on 13/8/24 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Watch out when buying a lathe that doesn't come with all the accessories - the extra cost can add up to what you paid for the lathe!

Oh - and even a Myford can be extremely heavy (a tough 2-person lift) although it can be dismantled a bit to reduce the weight. Their accessories are also VERY expensive for what they are. Second-hand ones can be worn out, and old ones can have knackered headstock bearings depending on the age of the machine. Though it is fairly easy to replace the bearings in newer Myfords.

HowardB

posted on 13/8/24 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Boxford, I wish I had space for a Colchester - that would be brilliant.

As for weight, I was moving mine at christmas and it fell on me - it took a lot of effort to move it and a huge effort to get it back upright (lathe was unharmed!)

If you have time and skill a lot of accessories can be made, however things like screw cutting require features on the lathe that are difficult to add on later.

Have you decided what you want to make with your lathe?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

mazie

posted on 14/8/24 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Howard

I've been offered a Colchester ex student lathe, remember using these during my college days however its capital heavy so passed it up.

I do want to cut metric threads (no current use for imperial) turn relatively small pieces of various metals in various grades and also plastics.

I'll keep looking, be worth the effort.

trextr7monkey

posted on 15/8/24 at 02:19 AM Reply With Quote
Hi just spotted this, I have quite a few lathes (16!) and have been thinning out my collection as rapidly running out of space. Since I retired I’ve had 40 - 50 lathes A few for wood mostly Union Jubilees/ Graduates the rest for metal. I have had ZMyfords of various ages, several Drummonds, Portass and smaller Adepts, Randas,Wizards and several watchmakers lathes Lorch and Boley Leinen.
Currently I have 3 Chesters 2 with the 3 in one milling head one without. I prefer these much more useful than Myfords as they have a huge swing are metric and have a fairly small foot print and generally come on a stand. Chester still operate from Wrexham area, the machines are similar to Warco.
Drummonds are solid machines and great value for money if you’re looking at them try and find an Mtype as it was one of their later improved models. I have a mate who has about 3 or 4 Drummond B types as well
I’m near Penrith
Atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

SteveWalker

posted on 15/8/24 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
Less common than Myfords, but Raglans were hugely well built and have a stepless, mechanical, variable speed control. The Little John mk2 or the 5" (the latter has an automatic carriage stop and a better carriage drive release).
mazie

posted on 16/8/24 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
Steve, found a Raglan and it looks ideal except it's north London and , also looks very heavy (yes I know a lathe typically is) so how are these moved around, can it be partially deconstructed? And 3x guys in a van?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126618633861?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=wAfcMZ0ISiu&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=y3HQ4BwTTHG &var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

MikeR

posted on 16/8/24 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Why did you turn down a colchester student? If it's in decent condition it would last a hobbist a lifetime. Appreciate it's bigger than your want but then it will definitely handle anything you throw at it.
I'm about to inherit my father's Smart and Brown tool makers lathe. It's from early 1900s and still going strong. No thread cutting & limited speeds etc and lots of cast iron

SteveWalker

posted on 16/8/24 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mazie
Steve, found a Raglan and it looks ideal except it's north London and , also looks very heavy (yes I know a lathe typically is) so how are these moved around, can it be partially deconstructed? And 3x guys in a van?

That's a Little John mk2, with the quick-change gear box - same as mine.

Yes, 3 guys and a van. Mine (my father got it in the '80s) actually came back in the back of a mk5 Cortina - but there is no known limit to what a company car can carry - and he, my uncle and me (teenager), carried it into the shed.

You can certainly remove tailstock, chuck, end cover and motor, but three of us moved it without going that far.

To find out more about them, take a look at https://raglanmachinetools.freeforums.net/

gremlin1234

posted on 16/8/24 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mazie

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126618633861?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=wAfcMZ0ISiu&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=y3HQ4BwTTHG &var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

not north london. but 'clapham north' in south london

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.