Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mounting Sierra Diff- angle?
James

posted on 12/3/03 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Mounting Sierra Diff- angle?

I'm just wondering if there's an optimum angle for my Sierra LSD diff to be mounted.

At the moment my plan is to mount it such that the plate that the prop mounts to is vertical- is this ok?

Cheers,

James

Wadders

posted on 12/3/03 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi James
Thats the usual way to mount them, but i don't think its critical.

Wadders

gjn200

posted on 12/3/03 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
I suppose in an ideal world the front flange nut on the diff would be inline with the gearbox output shaft.

<- Me!

gjn200

posted on 12/3/03 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Just nipped to the garage and tried mine, oh ffs, you would think the diff flange would be slightly tipped up to match with the g/box which is higher (with me?) but no, pointing down about 10 degrees off vertical. do you think I could slot the two top(or bottom) mounting holes to make it adjustable??

<- Me!

Peteff

posted on 12/3/03 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
diff angle

The diff and gearbox should be parallel to each other but not in line. There should be an angle between them or the u.js will knacker up in no time.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

dmottaway

posted on 12/3/03 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
don't know the precise angle, but the crankshaft is supposed to be angled downward towards the rear. The input to the diff is supposed to be agled upwards towards the front, at the same angel to put them parallel.

On some carbed engines this angle can be seen if the engine is mounted such that the float bowl of the carb(s) is level. If the carb is level when properly mounted on the engine, then the crankshaft will slope downwards toward the rear. EFI doesn't have a floatbowl, so seeing the slant is not so easy.

dave

jcduroc

posted on 12/3/03 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Shaft angle

The propshaft should be angled +/- 3º (degrees)

João

Peteff

posted on 12/3/03 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra diff.

The diff should be level so the flange is straight up. Check your driveshafts on the sierra, is one longer than the other?. Is the diff off centre and the engine on centre to give the angle on the propshaft?.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

sg_frost
Builder

Posts 104
Registered 6/11/02

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roaster in college with students, gulp!

posted on 17/3/03 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
lots of confusion here. The propshaft will tolerate 4 degrees of movement of the centre line. Universal joints are not constant-velocity type joints (which is why they are not used on front wheel drive cars) The flanges of the gearbox must be on the same vertical plane. I.e. if one is straight up, the other must be. (or both at 2 degrees etc). The unequal length drive shafts are to compensate for the internals of the differential, not to allow angle. Ideally you want the drive shafts to be horizontal at normal ride height, therefore allowing placement of the diff. Any angle in drive shafts or propshaft will absord engine power, and we don't want that now do we!!!
Cheffy

posted on 17/3/03 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hi James,

Couldn't figure out how to post it here so have e-mailed you an attachment. Hope it helps some,

Cheers,

Martin

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 17/3/03 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Martin,
Thanks for that- seems quite interesting at a brief glance- will study later when I'm not at work!

Cheers,

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.