Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sierra v6
paul_mcq

posted on 2/1/04 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
sierra v6

can the 2.9lr be used or is it to heavy for its own good?
kingr

posted on 2/1/04 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
You can make it fit, but yes, it is rather heavy. It's not an engine that I would go for were I not building a BEC - Rover V8s are more popular, have more tuning parts and services available and are unlikely to be signifcantly more hastle, I also suspect that they're quite a lot lighter being largely alloy.

Doubtless Mr. Gusty will have more to say about this, but I'll try to pre-empt him by saying a) his isn't really a locost b) the more you deviate from the book, the longer it takes (and yes, trying to make an injected, Ford V6, ABS equiped Morgan-a-like is deviating quite a lot).

Kingr

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 2/1/04 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
sierra v6

I initially thought I might use v6 as in granada/sierra but insurance is very steep for such a low power engine (150 BHP IIRC)

From what I gather there are a lot of better options in the form of better V6's/V8's (RV8, cosworth 24v) and equally powerful smaller lighter engines (4age)

I believe sierra v6 is better with twin turbo conversion but these quite rare.

blueshift

posted on 2/1/04 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know about prices for 4AGE and things like that, but the sierra v6 has the advantage that you get one in your sierra donor, so you can pull out all the wiring and ancillary bobbins at your leisure as you strip the car. Plus they can be had for cheap if you're lucky (our donor car with a 2.9 v6 in it cost £10).

Downside, I think all the ones in sierras are 4x4 so you need a gearbox and sump from somewhere else (capri)

sg_frost
Builder

Posts 104
Registered 6/11/02

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roaster in college with students, gulp!

posted on 2/1/04 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Mines got a 2.8 V6 in it, big bulge needed in the bonnet though, or a taller chassis.
Need a gearbox from a V6, normal sierra box will not fit cause input shaft is longer on V6!
Late ('92) XR4x4I have no air flow meters and lower inlet manifolds. Unfortunately, finding a '92 XR is not easy, I had one though

Check out the photo section.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/1/04 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
I think you said it all!

thanks for listening and taking note

quote:
Originally posted by kingr
You can make it fit, but yes, it is rather heavy. It's not an engine that I would go for were I not building a BEC - Rover V8s are more popular, have more tuning parts and services available and are unlikely to be signifcantly more hastle, I also suspect that they're quite a lot lighter being largely alloy.

Doubtless Mr. Gusty will have more to say about this, but I'll try to pre-empt him by saying a) his isn't really a locost b) the more you deviate from the book, the longer it takes (and yes, trying to make an injected, Ford V6, ABS equiped Morgan-a-like is deviating quite a lot).

Kingr

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.