Board logo

Track Day upgrades/advice
bassett - 27/5/11 at 12:52 PM

Hi,

Few questions in an attempt to bullet proof my MNR Vortx R1 for a worry free track day;

Will i need fluid higher than dot 4 if its fresh and im doing just a morning/afternoon session?

Would any one recommend getting a cheap spare set of wet weather friendly wheels/tyres than the current R888's?

Any way to help with noise control on the spot if it breaks the 101-105db limit?

Cheers
Adam

PAUL FISHER - 27/5/11 at 01:42 PM

You will be fine with your current brake fluid, R888's a not as bad as some people make out in wet conditions, they just don't like standing water (puddles), so just adjust your speed in wet conditions you can still have a lot of fun, and a DB killer is the quickest cheapest way of reducing noise, I used one of these below, available in different sizes depending on your exhaust size

MOTORBIKE MOTORCYCLE EXHAUST BAFFLE RACE CAN db KILLER | eBay UK
Service Champions - MOTORBIKE MOTORCYCLE EXHAUST BAFFLE RACE CAN
db KILLER

BAFFLE - EXHAUST DB KILLER / ROAD / RACE LEGAL CAN | eBay UK

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

adithorp - 27/5/11 at 03:06 PM

I've been running dot4 for 3 years and never had any problem (track days and Alpine passes included).

888's are OK as long as your carefull.

Which R1 do you have? If it's a 5vy have you modded the breather?

mark chandler - 27/5/11 at 03:31 PM

Also have you a sump baffle, on blades you over fill oil by 200cc so best have a search on here to see if that also applies.

Regards Mark

Nick DV - 27/5/11 at 04:52 PM

Personally I would put in fresh oil and change filter before, and I would also do it after, but that's up to you.

Cheers, Nick

bassett - 27/5/11 at 05:30 PM

Cheers guys and its a slightly older 5pw so no breather mods and has has a baffle from day one.