Board logo

Which fuel pump to use.
maccavvy - 10/8/12 at 07:14 AM

Have a oe pinto engine running a 32/36 weber at the mo, this is soon to swapped for a 2.1,gas flowed big valve head and fr32 cam with bike carbs. will the original mechanical pump run this ,or am i better off with an electric pump.
I know i need a pressure regulator ..do i need a return to the fuel tank as well.

any info appreciated.

Garyd - 10/8/12 at 08:14 AM

Hi,
Buy a motorbike fuel pump fit and forget.
No need for a regulator then or a return.

FuryRebuild - 10/8/12 at 08:15 AM

Hi

I went through this on my pinto (2.1L, Dave Walker head, REC Race Valves, 44.5mm inlet, 38mm exhaust, Piper A8 cam) which was fitted with a pair of 45mm twin-choke dellorto carbs.

You definitely need an electric fuel pump (the mechanical one won't be rated to the amount of fuel you can drink at full chat) and you need a pressure regulator (electric one may over-fuel your carbs). They're not expensive.

You don't need a return run - the all the fuel the pump delivers is consumed at the carbs, and the regulator means the pump doesn't supply too much fuel to carbs that has no-where to go.

I hope this helps.

If you haven't started building yet, my pinto setup is coming up for sale - the head alone would cost over £600 now, the carbs regularly go for more than £300 on ebay, and the whole lot has been set up and maintained by Bogg Brothers ("it's a right powerful lump is that". Getting the engine as a set with the carbs alone would save you £100 on the rollers - it's specifically jetted for this engine. If you're interested, it comes as a full engine including:

mcerd1 - 10/8/12 at 08:56 AM

most bike carb's don't like running with high pressure fuel being forced into them...
a pump from a bike running carbs are the simplest / cheapest way to sort this as they regulate the fuel pressure themselves
any carb's bike with similar power should have a pump you could use - but it can't be from a fuel injected bike as they run at much higher pressure.

I got a ZX9R one for mine, some of these are quite neat external pumps on a little mounting bracket with a fuel filter and shouldn't cost more than £30 - £40 from a breaker / ebay / etc...
(my one is like this one: eBay Item only I didn't pay that much for it)

[Edited on 10/8/2012 by mcerd1]

dray13dad - 10/8/12 at 04:54 PM

+1

FASTdan - 10/8/12 at 05:18 PM

Hi, as has been said the bike pump is the cheapest, easiest and most reliable. We have a stock and can supply you a pump if needed. :-)

deltron63 - 10/8/12 at 08:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Garyd
Hi,
Buy a motorbike fuel pump fit and forget.
No need for a regulator then or a return.

+1