Board logo

Festival of Speed 2010
55ant - 5/7/10 at 08:18 AM

Good Morning Guys, What a weekend!!!!!!!

This was my 8th Festival and i went for all four days,

Me and my dad headed down on wednesday night and camped in the anglesey arms which is 1 mile up the road from goodwood in halnaker. Nice pub, walk isnt too long but takes a while at 7 in the morning with a hangover.

Headin in on thursday morning not too sure what to expect with the new day, but we went to the moving motorshow and managed to blag ourselves a couple of drives! firstly i drove the alfa Guilietta clover leaf up the hill which was brilliant, car was very nice but just driving up the hill at a fair pace was great. Next somehow my dad managed to drive the new California! no idea how he got in that but it was brilliant. Then we had Honda Booked, i was driving the new crz and my dad the type r mugen, crz was nice, went up driving with a honda dealer and who was taking us out in the Mugen. Waited arounf outside chatting with this chap, waiting for the mugen to get back,

anyway got in the car, The dealer was going to drive us to the start line, we started heading out nice and slow chatting about the car, then before we know it we went into the jag stang! knocked one old boy onto the bonnet and on the floor, bumped into a rather smart e-type and ended up in the wall shattering the glass! i knocked it out of gear and the revs shot up and then turned the ignition off, crazy! Steve-the driver- was unconcious but breathing, my dad got out asap and got a paramedic, a member of the public turned up quickly and he was a doctor, i was in the bck holding his head up, crazy. anyway it was all sorted and i got to have a nice chat with steve on saturday about it and he's been getting a bit of bullying from the other honda guys. Gave all the detais to police etc, aparently its on pistonheads?

Anyway the moving show was shut but we didnt have any bookings for the next few hours so did the cayenne driving experiance, which although drifting through a big field isnt the best way to demonstrate a 4x4, it was good fun.

After lunch the hill re-opened and we headed back down and i got to drive a 2.0 MX5 which was really really good, Fiat 500 abarth essesse - awsome- and a new MGf which was crap, i explained this to the mg guy next to me who turned out to be the sales manager for mg, oops. car was crap though.

So all in all once we had found out everyone was fine after our little incedent it was brilliant.

Next three days where brilliant, far to much to say,

this was the pub we stayed at

reventon

clearly the yanks dont understand our rules

Cars of the weekend for me where the new mclaren, all the classic alfas which are all gorgeous, and the broadspeed jag.

We stayed for the prize giving at the end and afterwards we all got to go inside the house for champagne and cake! spoke to ken block!!!!!!!!!!

awsome weekend

[Edited on 5/7/10 by 55ant]

vinny1275 - 5/7/10 at 08:32 AM

There are pages and pages of thread on PH about the Mugen crash! Good to hear the driver you guys and the driver were all OK - hopefully the pedestrians were OK too. Did you know he also managed to clobber the oldest E-type in the world?

Good pointer about the Anglesey arms, might try and make it to FoS next year

Cheers

vince

Danozeman - 5/7/10 at 09:23 AM

There was a piccy on here about that aswell.

karlak - 5/7/10 at 09:27 AM

Here is the thread that was put on here -- http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=139049

bi22le - 5/7/10 at 11:55 AM

Hi Ant,
Just a couple of quick questions if you dont mind.
How did you get to drive up the track? I take it you know people. I have been there twice and never knew you could get drives from manufactures.

Secondly, do you know the reg of the Mugen Civic?
I met a guy at the ring last weekend who had a civic MU09 GEN, looks just like the crashed one you was in. Seems too close to the reg of car you was in to not be him!
If it was I have got a great story about that car!

bassett - 5/7/10 at 12:29 PM

Sounds like an excellent long weekend, also how did you win,steal,blag them drives?

I went for the first time this year and was blown away by the scale of the place and the amount there was to do. I will definitely be back for more next year. I think i bagged myself a million brownie points aswell after getting the girlfriend a personalised autograph from her idol, this awesome chap below.

Adam

[Edited on 5/7/10 by bassett]

55ant - 5/7/10 at 03:07 PM

Havnt looked at those threads yet but the article on PH is massivley over the top tbh. yeah the jag got a bump as did the new xkr 75, nothing to serious but didnt see them for the rest of the show. All pedestrians fine after a checkup, just bumps and scrapes.

Thursday was moving motorshow and some of the manufacturers where allowing pre booked clients to drive up the hill, so if you had been to alfa the week before to put your name down for the new alfa they may have given you a drive, but me and dad turned up suited and booted and apeared as if we could buy the car and we where there at 8am and managed to get ourselves booked in the few free spaces, oddly there where quite a few spaces for the new MG 6? cant imagine why, i didnt drive it.

so yeah our aim was to be in a car, going up the hill, i would have been completely chuffed with that, but then managed to drive up the hill, in the fiat 500 i really got it moving too as the chap next to me was an instructor from goodwood circuit and was telling me how to drive it! awsome.

Anglesy arms is good, expensive food and told us no bbq's but people where having them, ideal if you have a campervan, £10 per night to. oh no showers either, on the walk back is the exhibitors car park which never had security on it, and they have showers etc. also by that car park is the goodwood park hotel, we went in there everynight and met loads of drivers/owners/teams. once my dad had been in the ferrari and became best mates with the driver 'rob' we went and spoke to rob the next day and got to sit in the 599gto, he said if he gets a chance hell take me up in the supercar run but it never happened.

ive been lots now and this year it really was on another level.

Cant remember the number plate of the civic, but i have now seen pics of the back somewhere.

think weve got the festival and revival pretty well sorted now, but every year we find out new things, on thursday night there is a ball at the house (in adition to the one on saturday) where all the GRRC members are invited, this year at 10:30pm they had the rally cars doing dohnuts infront of the house with all their lights on apparently, the year before they wheeled 6 dragsters up to the house and fired them up.

crazy, sooooooooooo good. but im absolutely knackered.

[Edited on 5/7/10 by 55ant]