Board logo

what is a good seat weight
smart51 - 4/7/10 at 09:15 PM

I've just finished welding up a steel seat for my single seater. There's a lot of tidying to do and I'm going to punch and swage some holes in it to lighten it. As it stands, it weighs 4.9kg. I'll be trimming it with a bit of foam and some seating cloth I've got left over so I reckon 5.0kg plus runners for the finished weight. Is this a decent effort?

Steve Hignett - 4/7/10 at 09:20 PM

I'm interested in the replies to this as I'll be making a seat at work this week...

Granted mine won't be made from steel

welderman - 4/7/10 at 09:21 PM

wood, oh and just seen i missed your call to mate sorry

austin man - 4/7/10 at 09:40 PM

why not do it in ally like the Kirky seats

BenB - 4/7/10 at 09:41 PM

That's about right. Apparantly my Kirkey seats are about the same.....

FFTS - 4/7/10 at 10:30 PM

Over 6 weeks!

welderman - 4/7/10 at 10:43 PM

on the seat note i bought mine, think there about 2.2 ish kg each, but not cheap though

Steve Hignett - 4/7/10 at 11:47 PM

Mine will prob be the same price (as above) but will be full seats, and made in the same (cf/kev) material (cough ;0)

BUT - will be full size, rather than kart size

smart51 - 5/7/10 at 06:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by austin man
why not do it in ally like the Kirky seats

I was given some thin sheet steel for free, plus I can weld steel but not aluminium. Also, 0.75mm steel weighs the same as 2.2mm ally so there's not a lot of difference in weight.

iank - 5/7/10 at 07:29 AM

5kg isn't bad compared to regular grp seats.

Photos?

oldtimer - 5/7/10 at 07:49 AM

My GRP seats are 2.3kg, cheap and nothing fancy off ebay.

bimbleuk - 5/7/10 at 10:15 AM

I've handled a few seats recently. The cheap steel frame bucket seats and mid-price GRP seats from the major manufacturers appear to be around 6-8kgs. They are high back seats with full padding.

Lose the padding and they can dip lower. Pay lots for a proper autoclave kevlar shells and they start to get near your weights. So yours are quite light.

oldtimer - 5/7/10 at 05:04 PM

These are up on ebay now - NTDWM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GRP-Bucket-Seats-Kit-Cars-Locost-westfield-etc-NEW-/140421849796?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash= item20b1cb62c4

Triton - 9/7/10 at 11:48 AM

Triton jobbies weigh 4.5kgs and don't rust...

procomp - 9/7/10 at 01:04 PM

Hi

A foam bag job will weigh in at around 3 Kg give you all the support you require. Don't forget that the majority of GRP Jobie's still require mounting brackets either at the base or in most cases around the shoulders to stop the flex when cornering. And to be honest the dogs danglers B4 Tillet i had in the last car was lacking in the required strength. Looked nice though.

Cheers Matt