Board logo

Lost password for a d-link wifi
steve m - 17/7/12 at 08:00 PM

I all

I installed the above about a year ago, with the intention of using it with my laptop, in the garage (sad i know!!)
but now that i want to use my iphone, and brand new today ipad, i can not find out what my password is
how or were can i get it???

regards

steve

mookaloid - 17/7/12 at 08:06 PM

google for the manual for that model of access point and follow the instructions for a reset then you can start again.

(Usually hold in a reset button on the back whilst turning it on)

steve m - 17/7/12 at 08:30 PM

Thanks, ive done all that, reset my password, and it still comes up "with unable to join the network "myname"
on my iphone and ipad

i have never got this bloody thing to work, hence never using the laptop in the garage

its going out the window soon!

mookaloid - 17/7/12 at 08:39 PM

In that case I have certainly come across D-Link wireless stuff that certain devices just can't connect to.

however it could be an incompatibility with the security protocols. you could try setting it up with no security first - no password no WPA or WEP etc. then if it connects just up the security to WEP to see if it works then.

bi22le - 17/7/12 at 08:42 PM

Does any Microsoft products connect to it?

We had real issues at home recently with an Ipad. I just could not get it to connect. So I sent it back and got an android equvalent. Connected with no issues!!

Is it defo password issues and not encription as already mentioned?

steve m - 17/7/12 at 08:48 PM

I have NEVER got the wirless to work, so could be pissing against the wind,
but now having all this stuff that nneds wifi, ive got to get somthing to work!

bi22le - 17/7/12 at 08:57 PM

Do your wireless devices even find it?

Try typing 192.168.2.1 in to an explorer address window and connect to the router.

I think Thats a dlink address.

Mooch through the settings and see if you can spot anything.

britishtrident - 17/7/12 at 09:00 PM

D-link wifi stuff generally works straight off without issue try changing the wireless channel to something 6, 7 or 8 and turn off the security make sure that dchp is turned on.

steve m - 17/7/12 at 09:05 PM

Ive done the 192 link, and it comes up with my dlink and user name and password is admin
but even if i stick those in, it still will not connect with anything

its going in the bin, and off to pc world tomos to be fleeced by some 13yr old no it all

deltron63 - 17/7/12 at 09:38 PM

is the wireless turned on in the router? dont forget to save the settings

steve m - 17/7/12 at 09:57 PM

Well,

After lobbing it into the garden, and having a hissy fit, SWMBO says why dont you try it again, silly cow, its just hit the shed roof, and is liying upside down, in what was a very large lake about 3 days ago.

so its all back attached to the PC, and it FUC*ING works, i do not now how, or why, but it does
this has taken a year of my misrable life to get his far,

Wife is pleased, she can have facebook on, while in bed now

well she could, unless i pull the wire out of one dirty, mangled d-link

steve

Peteff - 17/7/12 at 10:37 PM

Type 192.168.1.1 into your browser address bar and enter key and a prompt will come up. Put admin in both boxes and when you are in the router setup go into wireless setup and change the security mode to WPA personal and WPA mode to WPA only.

splitrivet - 17/7/12 at 10:59 PM

Sounds like you didnt power it down long enough, its subsequent flight and sitting on its arse was enough time to reset it, obviously the passwords havent been wiped by the reset switch press so that wasnt long enough either, you normally have to hold the reset switch in for 10 secs minimum with power on.
Typing cmd into the run box return then typing ipconfig /all then look for the gateway address then go to that address via your browser.
Cheers,
Bob

stevebubs - 18/7/12 at 07:46 AM

How are you connecting this new device?

Do you already have a wired LAN that works, and provides access?

Is the new device an access point or router?

If you have a wired LAN and the DLINK is a router, you may actually want to turn DHCP off on the D-Link as the IP addresses should be provided by your existing router.

Stephen

r1_pete - 18/7/12 at 09:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Well,

After lobbing it into the garden, and having a hissy fit, SWMBO says why dont you try it again, silly cow, its just hit the shed roof, and is liying upside down, in what was a very large lake about 3 days ago.

so its all back attached to the PC, and it FUC*ING works, i do not now how, or why, but it does
this has taken a year of my misrable life to get his far,

Wife is pleased, she can have facebook on, while in bed now

well she could, unless i pull the wire out of one dirty, mangled d-link

steve

Ahh, the 20 Metre re seat, bite more extreme that the 100mm reseat (Pick it up 100mm and drop it)