Board logo

Best Cycle Carrier?
lsdweb - 6/6/10 at 08:05 PM

Hi All

I'm looking for a decent cycle carrier that will carry 3 bikes on my Audi A6 (S6) - the car's a 2010 model.

I want something that's stable and don't mind paying a reasonable price for a quality product.

Thanks in advance.

Wyn

Hellfire - 6/6/10 at 08:11 PM

Do you have a towbar?

Phil

tomgregory2000 - 6/6/10 at 08:13 PM

Put them inside!!

I know you can fit 3 full suss bikes and 3 people in a mk4 golf

lsdweb - 6/6/10 at 08:28 PM

Thanks guys

I've got a tow hitch but it's a swan neck so not easy to fit a rack on plus I want to be able to carry the bikes and tow the caravan at the same time.

I'd rather have them on a rack as the car is pretty full when we go abroad!

Wyn

T66 - 6/6/10 at 08:50 PM

Towbar mounted....

Thule Thule Thule.

Easy to use , solid once locked on, I wouldnt have any other now.

And Ive stupidly done cheapos, which will do your head in.

Thule Thule Thule.

oldtimer - 7/6/10 at 09:37 AM

I also have a Thule tow bar mount one for 4 bikes - it's very good and quickly dismounts, but, do they do them for swan necks??

geoff shep - 10/6/10 at 08:17 PM

Yes they do them for swan necks - I got myself one of these and it is surprisingly good even though it is fitted to nothing other than the ball.

http://www.towequipe.co.uk/products/9502combo-thule-9502-towbar-2-bike-cycle-carrier-tilt-inc-lock.html

..although it doesn't solve the OP's problem if he wants to tow the caravan as well. There are carriers that fit onto the bolts for a flange towbar but again no good. You would probably be best with a Thule roofbar system with bike rack.

Slater - 10/6/10 at 08:43 PM

MaxxRaxx.
linker 2

I did a bit of research before getting one of these. It's very well designed and easy to get upto 4 bikes on the back of the car. Does not take up much room in the garage when not being used either. very sturdy and easy to fit if you have a towbar. I have used mine alot and would highly recommend them.

Roof mounted option are awkward to get the bikes up there and affects your fuel consumption.

Hope this helps.
Keith

[Edited on 10/6/10 by Slater]

beaver34 - 10/6/10 at 10:27 PM

on the roof, i can sort you some thule proride 951 for a great price,

also if you go on the rear and tow a caravan you will find 3 bikes will foul the jockey wheel and side of caravan dependant on a frame and the front, and also will push your nose weigh through the roof

lsdweb - 8/7/10 at 07:02 PM

Update - bought a Halfords rear mounted rack that 'fits all cars' but didn't fit!

So I bought a roof mounted Atera Giro AF rails and bike carrier kit. Just fitted it and it's really nicely put together! Just a bit scary lifting the bikes over the roof of my new car!

Regards

Wyn